Thought I could trust my pool store water test, but Who said “I won’t get fooled again!”

Tth

Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2019
Oroville, CA
Still battling back from high CYA levels after an early summer 2ft drain and trying to wait till the weather cools to drain some more. So I‘m staring down the tube trying to figure out just when that dot really is disappearing as my eyes go crossed, I ask everyone in the family their opinion and it’s anywhere from 60 to 80. I’m hoping it’s below 80 but probably not. So yesterday, I decide to drive to Chico to the fancy pool store that installed our new pump and filter system to hit up their hightech computer water tester and get a refill of reagent. My morning test showed: FC 10.8, CC=0, water temp 80, pH 7.6, TA 80, CH 250, CYA 80. A couple hours later in Chico, I hand over my sample to the creepy kid behind the counter and browse the showroom for my refill of R-0871 only to find every bottle on their shelves expired January of 18! Not to mention the price! So as I’m rolling my eyes thinking this is why amazon is killing u guys, the creepy one sneaks up behind me and says OK! Here’s your printout! Their computer says: FC 8.7, CC 0, pH 7.6, TA 57, Adjusted TA 32, CH 192, CYA 83
Then, here comes the pitch: you need 48 lbs of balance PAK 100 to get your adjusted TA to 125, you need 4 lbs of Lo ‘N Slo to keep your ph in range and your chlorine levels are way too high so use Chem-Out!! Oh boy!! Get me outta here!! There’s no frickin way! I’m not going to Calcium drain or die purgatory! I know my test is right on at 250, and who needs baking soda at that price, especially 48 pounds!! Crazy train! I’m pretty sure I didn’t lose 2.1 FC in two hours either! Oh well, I guess I just wanted to believe in fancy computers and honest hometown pool pros. Sorry pool store nutters! I’m done with you people!!

Haha! Absolutely leave your pH and TA alone. You can get R-0871 pretty fast via TFTestkits.net.

I love (tongue in cheek) the idea of getting your FC down with chemicals. Even IF it was "too high", simply waiting would do the trick.

On your CYA test, maybe this will help:

Glance away, then glance back. Do a few times. If you see the dot add till the next line. Glance again. Don't stare.

I was just down in your area in June (when it wasn't hot). Oh my do y'all have hard water! My son's girlfriend, her twin sister and her boyfriend, her mom, and her brother all moved up here about a month ago. They were Yuba City peeps.

Thanks frogi! Appreciate the helpful advice and video! We got lucky here with soft city water in the foothills but just down in town is super hard! We rented for several months in Yuba, great Mexi food but I’m sure those guys are lovin’ Portland. Way more adventure!!

Yeah... they thought they were attuned to the more adventurous ways of life... :poke:

Some friends of theirs came to visit, I had to stifle a laugh when they wanted to Postmate food and were astonished to find they had hundreds of actual choices. I'm homegrown... city girl. I find it difficult to be totally right with the world in the central valley for too long, once my sun worshiping wears off of course. And I think everyone on the freeway is trying to kill themselves (and me!).

People lose way too much sleep fussing over the CYA test. As long as your are close, call it a day. Below is what the 50 ppm sample solution looks like. Yes, you can see the dot. That is what I go for when I test and it has never steered me wrong.

20180613_101104.jpg

Im thinking about ordering my own tfp shirt, specifically to wear to leslies, if running out of liquid chlorine prompts
an emergency Blue Whale LC run.....is this not priceless? .....karma for all the ’Liquid Chlorine’ shaming store
employees.... back in May of 2019, as i was first hearing learning the TFP method, one local pool store employee, was so over come with shock/disgust when I told him I was there to buy ‘Liquid chlorine’
He got real quiet! (I had purchased boat loads of tri and di-Chlor from this store faithfully for over a decade. ?????
After staring at me for a few moments, in disbelief, he told me “i don’t recommend that m’am!’ And you can pick up your muriatic Acid at Lowe’s.
????
Ok, I replied and out the door I went .....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.