This is for the birds!!

DiverGirl1972

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 11, 2018
Delta, PA
We are dealing with a frustrating and gross problem. Some Brewer’s Blackbirds have nested in trees around our property. These birds are carrying and leaving fecal sacs in and around our pool. Apparently, the parent birds carry these away from the nest to ensure it stays clean and to prevent detection by predators and it’s not uncommon for them to drop this near water.

I have repeated cleaned the pool and pool deck, only to find more piles within minutes. From what I understand, this only lasts until the fledglings leave the nest 16 – 20 days. This is our first Spring in our home, so we’re not sure if this is an annual thing or if this year is worse than others, but I’m absolutely beside myself! It’s like a losing battle. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is this something we just have to wait out? We have purchased some visual deterrents (basically fake owls) to place around the pool in hopes that this scares them to another location but they won’t be here until Wednesday.

On an upside, I tested my FC last night and it was 8.5. This morning, it was 8. Seeing as my FC only dropped .5 overnight, does this mean I really don’t need to SLAM the pool at this point? If it’s not necessary, I don’t want to waste the liquid chlorine… Water is very clear.

Next steps will be replacing the filters when they arrive today and trying to keep the pool clean (which is a full time job with these stupid birds)!

Good morning, I don't know about the birds but daaaang, that doesn't sound fun!

If your test results are all within the guidelines on Pool Math and it's clear, I don't see why you would SLAM.

SLAM is for active algae blooms. Follow the OCLT results to confirm.. if you pass now, then no need to SLAM.

Keep us posted and I/we love pics!

Good morning, I don't know about the birds but daaaang, that doesn't sound fun!

If your test results are all within the guidelines on Pool Math and it's clear, I don't see why you would SLAM.

SLAM is for active algae blooms. Follow the OCLT results to confirm.. if you pass now, then no need to SLAM.

Keep us posted and I/we love pics!

Here are some pics. Keep in mind as of 6pm last night, this pool was clean as a whistle, inside and out. It really didn't take long for it to get bad again. They even left an egg! Ugh!
IMG_8898.JPGIMG_8897.jpgIMG_8889.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.