This check valve is sideways?

Mar 4, 2013
Hi, all. I'm experiencing the whole spa draining while the pool pump is off. I had a pool person come by and he set the return lines to the spa, and it didn't drain overnight. He said it was likely the check valve.

I replaced the check valve but the spa is still draining, so I started looking at the rest of the equipment, and one of the check valves appears to be sideways. See picture. Is this something intentionally done? The flapper is facing left.20190423_100938.jpg

What is the correct position? The flap on the bottom or the top?

Also, do you happen to know which way the flap should be on the valve on the left? My son changed it out and he might have gotten it confused.

What is the correct position? The flap on the bottom or the top?

Also, do you happen to know which way the flap should be on the valve on the left? My son changed it out and he might have gotten it confused.

I have this exact same valve. The flap should be on the side away from the pump (i.e the side with the valve).

When you take it apart, be sure the seal is in good condition. You may need to get a replacement to get it to seal. I have found I need to take it out occasionally because leaves get stuck in the flap hinge, and the spa will slowly partially drain down overnight.

I have this exact same valve. The flap should be on the side away from the pump (i.e the side with the valve).

When you take it apart, be sure the seal is in good condition. You may need to get a replacement to get it to seal. I have found I need to take it out occasionally because leaves get stuck in the flap hinge, and the spa will slowly partially drain down overnight.

Thank you so much. So just to be sure, both check valves should have their flaps in the south position (bottom) where the valve handles are located?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.