Thinking of getting a truck....

Really? What didn’t you like about the Denali? And before you do anything, go see the new Dodge Ram, they did a real nice job with that interior.

The Ram is definitely the nicest truck, I've owned four - '02, '06, '09, '14. But would not recommend it based on MANY problems I had with my last one, a 2014 1500 Laramie. Within the first 90k miles, water pump, exhaust manifolds, fuel level sensor, power window motor, and I know there are more I can't even remember right now. Each of those fixed under warranty but required multiple days at dealer. My dad also had lots of problems with his 2014, but different ones than I had.

20180823_170227.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Really? What didn’t you like about the Denali? And before you do anything, go see the new Dodge Ram, they did a real nice job with that interior.

Typical gm plastic feel. Just feels so cheap. I'm actually fed up with all gm products. Cadillac was horrible.

Too bad on the Denali feel inside. Enjoy the KR!!

Too bad on the Denali feel inside. Enjoy the KR!!

Thanks! I just got back from a spin in it for lunch. I love it more and more!

I am convinced of 2 things now that would make one buy a GM product:

a: You are a diehard fan and nothing will change your mind.
b: You have never driven the competition.

I actually had to look around and find the "Denali" badge when I was sitting in it to make sure he didn't make a mistake and put me in the base model. I was asking myself what in the world made that vehicle "premium" and worth the extra $20k. I didn't even take it for a drive couldn't get passed the cheap feel. Sitting in the cheap plastic junk made me feel I was making a big mistake trading my Jaguar. Sitting in the King Ranch made me feel like I upgraded!

Thanks! I just got back from a spin in it for lunch. I love it more and more!

I am convinced of 2 things now that would make one buy a GM product:

a: You are a diehard fan and nothing will change your mind.
b: You have never driven the competition.

I actually had to look around and find the "Denali" badge when I was sitting in it to make sure he didn't make a mistake and put me in the base model. I was asking myself what in the world made that vehicle "premium" and worth the extra $20k. I didn't even take it for a drive couldn't get passed the cheap feel. Sitting in the cheap plastic junk made me feel I was making a big mistake trading my Jaguar. Sitting in the King Ranch made me feel like I upgraded!

I think Chevy has an edge though at the lower trim levels. I have a Silverado LT Z71, which is cloth seats, but some nice features. I drove the equivalent F-150 (I think it was like an XLT or Lariat) and felt like the interior was garbage. I like a bench seat, and in the F-150 the middle part that folds down is weirdly huge and uncomfortable, and again lots of plastic all over. That's why I ended up in the Chevy over the Ford.

Sorry, couldn't resist. [emoji12]
4527ddd075c797a79c965dc991f06e94.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny how Ford still outsells every other truck by a decent margin... and the only ones you hear about that are broken down are on message boards...:rolleyes:

Also, why did it take so long for Chevy to figure out that tires are round and shouldn't have square wheel wells?

Congrats on the KR!!!

Ford 451K
General Motors 391K (I think it’s fair to combine Silverado/Sierra)
Ram 233K

YTD June 2018

It’s great to have three nice choices that sell tons so each can pick a favorite.

All also higher than the best selling SUV or car. Which is a Nissan Rogue. Which is crazy that Nissan jumped over the RAV4 and CR-V.

It’s great to have three nice choices that sell tons so each can pick a favorite.

Indeed, we are living in the golden age of pickup trucks. Possibly the next generations of these models will see elimination of V8 engines and more electrification. For better or for worse, we will see.

Just wanted to post here as I remember posting on this discussion a year ago and recently bought a ‘19 Ridgeline truck to replace my Nissan Frontier. Ridley is the Best truck ever, best fuel economy, noise level, comfort and utility. I don’t off-road, tow or even drive on the median ? & most truck owners don’t and only need a truck to haul gallons of Muriatic and Bleach. This truck bed holds a uncut 4’ width plywood sheet or drywall sheet FLAT. Comes standard with a V6, bed rhinolining, theater rear seats, & push button start-so $30k sounds like a lot, but I specced a ‘19 Ranger and Taco and it couldn’t touch these standard features.

If you are ever contemplating hauling, run away from Chev/GM. They are basically an SUV with a box. Sure it’s a nice ride, but there is a reason Ford is the best selling truck, their box is a beast.

Disclaimer. I own a Silverado 5.3

Also consider that once you have the truck, you will tend to use it. So the loads of gravel/dirt/sod/sand will increase just because you can. You may regret the smaller truck down the road when you need twice the trips.

Reactions: KDpoolguy
This thread brings back some memories! I still love the F-150. What a joy to drive it. I am getting 17mpg overall and close to 20 on trips. No regrets!

Click on actual tow rating, not what the manufacturer says. IE Ford F-150 with 3.5litre Ecoboost can haul more than a Chev HD 2500.
While I think the F-150 is a great for towing light loads such as bass boats and light bumper pull RV's, All except a few with heavy duty payload packages and zero amenities are going to run out of payload and towing capacity before you get to 5er pin weight capacity. Who buys a stripped down model these days? The only reliable way to determine a trucks towing and payload capacity is to look at the door sticker that ships on the vehicle. And that only applies to it as it leaves the factory. Anything added to it aftermarket gets subtracted from those numbers.

One issue with the link you provided is that they don't list the towing capacity of the 250/2500's with a gasoline engine. That diesel monster in those trucks kill the payload.

P.S. The manufacturer's ARE the ones that set the towing capacity, so I don't know how 'actual' tow ratings could be any different? :scratch:

While I think the F-150 is a great for towing light loads such as bass boats and light bumper pull RV's, All except a few with heavy duty payload packages and zero amenities are going to run out of payload and towing capacity before you get to 5er pin weight capacity. Who buys a stripped down model these days? The only reliable way to determine a trucks towing and payload capacity is to look at the door sticker that ships on the vehicle. And that only applies to it as it leaves the factory. Anything added to it aftermarket gets subtracted from those numbers.

One issue with the link you provided is that they don't list the towing capacity of the 250/2500's with a gasoline engine. That diesel monster in those trucks kill the payload.

P.S. The manufacturer's ARE the ones that set the towing capacity, so I don't know how 'actual' tow ratings could be any different? :scratch:

Looks like they took the max load truck configuration. I noticed none of the configured F-150s were 4x4s. So for sure those are special orders I doubt you could ever find a truck configured like that on the lot. Not sure what criteria they used it looks like they just printed what Ford will tell you. Perhaps they checked all the safety margins and came up with their numbers. Manufactures typically are very conservative in their ratings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.