Things that make you go "hum"

See my comments in green :)
bbecky75 said:
So they sold me:

3" tabs (will increase your CYA level, will also lower your PH/TA-don't put in the skimmer unless pump runs 24/7)
granular shock (Either MPS, Dichlor or Cal-Hypo. Dichlor will raise your CYA and C-H will raise your CH, MPS is non chlorine shock and better used in a spa)
calcium increaser (Don't need this since pool is vinyl)
phos free (Don't need it, return it if you haven't opened it)
pool magic (Don't know what this is so that means you prob don't need it)
PH reducer (Powder? Shld be ok to have on hand)
Algecide (Unless it's Polyquat 60 its not one we recommend; if its got Copper in it don't use.)
stablizer (CYA)

Hello PoolMom, thanks for the reply...

3" tabs (will increase your CYA level, will also lower your PH/TA-don't put in the skimmer unless pump runs 24/7) Curious why don't put into skimmer unless running 24/7?
granular shock (Either MPS, Dichlor or Cal-Hypo. Dichlor will raise your CYA and C-H will raise your CH, MPS is non chlorine shock and better used in a spa)I have the Cal-Hypo
calcium increaser (Don't need this since pool is vinyl) Yes, I'll be returning this..
phos free (Don't need it, return it if you haven't opened it) What are your thoughts on phosfree
pool magic (Don't know what this is so that means you prob don't need it) It's also called spring and fall (unfortunately already added yesterday)
PH reducer (Powder? Shld be ok to have on hand) Yes, it's powder
Algecide (Unless it's Polyquat 60 its not one we recommend; if its got Copper in it don't use.) Not sure what Polyquat 60 is but mine consist of Poly ethylene dichloride 60 so maybe that's what your talking about...
stablizer (CYA) Yes..

So that's what I have, thanks so much for your advice!!!

Pucks/tabs continue to dissolve when the pump is off. If they are sitting in the skimmer, then when you turn the pump on, a super-chlorinated slug of water will pass through your equipment, which is at least stressful to, and at worst could damage your equipment.

Phosfree - Algae feed on phosphates. If you are keeping your FC at the proper levels, there will be no algae anyway, so it is kind of a moot point.

pH decreaser - dry acid, which is fine. Easier to use than muriatic acid, tho more expensive.

Your algecide is indeed polyquat 60. I don't know what the 'quat' means, no doubt something uber-scientific, but you look for the Poly and the 60 in the ingredient list and you are good to go. Algaecide is good for PREVENTING algae, not killing it. So most around here only use it at closing, or if they will be away for an extended period.

The 3" tabs are very acidic, if they sit in the skimmer with the pump off then the water in the skimmer becomes... very acidic, which can damage the skimmer (while the pump is off) and possibly the pump/filter (after it comes back on). On top of the megadose of chlorine TMQ mentioned.

That said, many people find using tabs in a floater (but not the skimmer!) is incredibly convenient for vacations, because a few tabs can readily keep up with a 1-2ppm per day demand and will last around a week. But they do add CYA as well as chlorine, so don't use them all the time.
--paulr

Hey FPM, I read it thru 3 times to make sure I got it right... :-D

bbecky75 said:
Hello Everyone, thanks for all the good advice! yes, I do plan to purchase a new test kit and didn't realize the strips could go "bad" but after finding this site, I see that they aren't reliable. Wish I would have found this site before going to the pool supply because I spent $306. I know I'm a fool but won't happen again... Since I've opened most of what they sold me, I'll be using it all up then moving to the BBB method.. Can't wait to try it but can't seem to justify throwing out $306 worth of chemicals...

Now you can all bash me over the head... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

lololol.... I once was lost but now I'm found... I see light!!! :whoot: :party:

Thanks everyone, I'll post new results and pics soon!!!

You could just sell it to a 'friend' for a good price! :mrgreen:

bbecky75 said:
Yea, $306 to be exact... grrrr!!! :rant: :rant:

So they sold me:

3" tabs
granular shock
calcium increaser
phos free
pool magic
PH reducer
Algecide
stablizer

I think that's all but would have to look at it all when I get home...

I work an 1.15 minutes from my home and get off at 5pm so when I get home after 6pm all 3 pool suppliers are closed. So I'll have to bring water with me to work tomorrow and go get it tested on my lunch break. There's a Leslie's here that can do the testing. Do you guys recommend any of their test kits? I looked at the ones listed in Butterfly's sig but can't send that much right now and don't wanna wait for it to come in before I get things taken care of... It's in the high 70's to low 80's here and I don't want things to get out of control because right now I have clear water. :lol:

I think you should try to return all of the stuff you listed except the stabilizer and ph reducer (and don’t buy any more, muriatic acid is cheaper). Returning the rest should net you more than enough for a good test kit.

If you wait until you need them, you’ll probably have the phos free and calcium increaser forever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.