Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The tf-100 kit I have , the card says TA should be between 100-120 for chlorinated pools. Pool math says ideal is 60-80 . So what am I supposed to follow and strive for ? Dosent make sense to me.
Also the belief here is to keep fc levels well above the considered norm. The taylor test I received Dosent even test above 5 ( which is considered by most too high ) . I searched the internet and can’t find anywhere to keep your fc above 3 . All I read is that it’s dangerous for your health above those levels. Bad for breathing ect. Can someone explain how this is safe and that no where else on the internet provides the data you guys do ?

Lemonhead, TFP utilizes years of scientific data to develop the What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool page. When you refer to "general" pool industry level references, you have to remember they do not take into account the various scenarios for residential pools which include SWGs, scale, location, and owners with various other scenarios. They simply can't do that. Their levels are generic and for the most part "assume" that owners will use tabs or powdered shocks. We know these products have serious consequences on pool chemistry, so we adapt.

As for the FC level, your TF-100 has the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) which is TFtestkits.net-specific for accurate testing and higher levels. The OTO viewer is only to check for the presence of overall chlorine and does not separate FC and CC. You ask about being safe. Did you know that an FC of 1 o 2 ppm with no CYA is exponentially more dangerous than an FC of 20 with a CYA of 50? Pool stores do not take into account the FC/CYA relationship noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

There are many more examples we could discuss, but it all starts at our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. From there we explain why some pools should have a lower TA to keep the pH from rising too fast, or which owners with iron from a well should have a lower pH level, and so on. As for your pool specifically, the link I provided above shows ideal levels and acceptable minimum and maximum levels. You can be anywhere within those ranges. The pool surface type and equipment, along wit the PoolMath APP, help us as pool owners determine when end of the scale we should be on. In time it will make more sense to you, or you can ask questions for any item you are concerned about and we'll explain further.

Reactions: HermanTX
In simple non-scientific terms the Cyanuric Acid (CYA/stabilizer) shields the Chlorine from the sun. Without the CYA the sun would burn off the FC in a matter of minutes. So with an elevated CYA level for ‘protection’ only some of the FC is available for sanitizing. *But*. When 1-2 ppm burns off there are 5 or so remaining to continue to burn off while remaining sanitary. The next day you top off and the cycle repeats.

The pool store and government use the outdated guidelines from the 60s. For real. Imagine getting medical treatment like it was 1962 again. Back to the point, they recommend 1-2 PPM for sanitizing, which is the same as us. But without the CYA to protect it, it burns off and you go most of the day with 0 PPM. Once a week the pool needs to be ‘shocked’ with a high FC to kill whatever grew in the meantime.

We maintain the proper levels throughout so there is never a need to shock the pool if the protocol is followed. Whenever a TFPer has a problem it is almost always due to user error. Life happens to all of us. We get busy or lazy. It’s never the process’s fault.

The typical pool store methods involve using pucks or sticks which are billed as slow release chlorine. Done so with stabilizer (CYA). Throw a couple in and it will take days to dissolve but in doing so it adds more CYA which in turn needs a higher FC to remain sanitary. This method always ends in a CYA level so high that it is nearly impossible to maintain and equally high FC level. The pool store calls it ‘chlorine lock’ and tells the customer to drain the pool. For the next 6-24 months it appears that the pool store ‘fixed’ the problem. When it happens again it’s a new problem and not the methods fault.

Reactions: kimkats and mguzzy
The tf-100 kit I have , the card says TA should be between 100-120 for chlorinated pools. Pool math says ideal is 60-80 . So what am I supposed to follow and strive for ? Dosent make sense to me.
Also the belief here is to keep fc levels well above the considered norm. The taylor test I received Dosent even test above 5 ( which is considered by most too high ) . I searched the internet and can’t find anywhere to keep your fc above 3 . All I read is that it’s dangerous for your health above those levels. Bad for breathing ect. Can someone explain how this is safe and that no where else on the internet provides the data you guys do ?
The Dude nailed it on the CYA explanation.. let me take a jab at TA. You don't have to worry tooo much about the TA. If you search around you will see the TFP pros will tell you not to chase the TA. It will tend to follow the ups and downs of the pH. It is however an indicator of other things going on in your pool, so use it as such. I never specifically raise or lower my TA, but I watch what it does as I am adjusting the pH.... so to answer your questions.. they are both right. ;)

I would have to say that you have our purpose wrong. The purpose of this forum is simply to teach a method of pool care that WE KNOW works. Thousands and thousand of folks use it safely and effectively every day.

It is NOT the purpose of the forum to argue with folks who don't like or understand what we teach. I know there are a bunch of forums where you can argue interminably about almost any subject........that's not us.

We offer what we know and it's your decision to either learn from what we teach or choose your own method of pool care....whatever suits you.

Dave beat me to it. You won't be successful with your pool if you mix and match advice and/or try to piece it together from multiple sources. And you'll be spinning your wheels to try to amalgamate your own method by picking and choosing what makes sense to you (I know, I've tried both of those methods, both failed miserably). TFP has already done the amalgamating for you, over many years. Their teachings are backed with real science and are not influenced by product sales (like Pool Store advice most certainly is). What TFP teaches works, in thousands and thousands of pools. Don't overanalyze it. Don't try to prove it right or wrong by challenging us with others' notions and theories. Do yourself a favor and practice what is taught here and you will be very pleased with the result, just as thousands of us are. The only thing you have to figure out for yourself is if you're willing to trust us or not...

I’m going to follow what works period. The TFP method is that process. I’ve had my pool for 2.5 years and I’ve never had to “shock” my pool. I’ve never had equipment damage from “high” FC or any type of rash or skin irritation due to “high FC”. This site is backed with hard science not Pool Store farce. That’s what I like about it. There’s nobody here pushing any type of service or product for personal gain.

Reactions: magiteck
I like using the tfp method. I’ll give you an example. My fc was high because I spiked it pretty good to go on vacation. When I returned it was at 11 ppm. According to most that should burn my skin and eyes . It did not . My eyes were fine. I asked the questions because I don’t see this advice given anywhere else. That’s all. I brang up the total alkalinity because tfp test kit says one reading is recommended and my pool app says another . Just still unsure which to go by. Overall I’m very glad I found this site. My questions weren’t to argue it was just curiosity. You guys are awesome to give advice to help people including myself. Thanks to all you guys. I appreciate this site very much

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't ask about why things are so. I do that all the time (to the experts' distraction, I imagine) because that is part of my learning process and helps me understand and remember things. I just meant if you're at a point where you need to choose between sets of advice, you'll be better served to stick with one resource, and best served if that resource is TFP. Don't ever be shy here about asking questions...

Reactions: Lemonhead

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.