TheMilkman's Pool Build Journal

Wow is right! When we were house hunting 28 years ago, a pool wasn't even on our list of priorities. Good thing for our children it just happened to be part of the package. My husbands not a water lover, so I'm sure he'd NEVER survive an experince like yours milkman. Can't wait to see your final pics. Good luck with the rest of it!

Even cooler as a follow-up... when they relocated the meter to the new pan, someone dropped it and it no longer spun. I went a few weeks before I noticed it, then called the crew mgr that did the work directly instead of through usual channels. They came out and replaced the meter and said to heck with the readings. I got free electricity for 3 weeks!

Spoke to my Engineer today, he was a fellow pool owner and I pointed him to this site. Nice guy, came out today, figured out where to move the line and said it would be free since the pool pump electricity would cover the cost of the line move!

It will be moved within 10 business days, let the countdown begin :party:

Nope.....still waiting on Duke to move the line.

Going to be a full 3 weeks shortly since they marked. The job is supposed to be closed tomorrow but between the storms and southern drivers knocking down power poles i'm not holding out much hope.

Rest of the week supposed to better I think so hopefully they can get back to yours.

Day 31 - The power line is moved and my yard is a mess. They weren't kidding when they said they were not responsible for damage :-D

My neighbor called at lunch and said he had some good news and bad news. The good news was the power company was at my house to move the line, the bad news was it was pouring and they weren't sure if they wanted to do it.

They did it alright, back and side yards are trashed, 2 of my back sprinkler lines broken and a misc. wire cut in two that we have no idea what it is, wasn't marked as a utility.

Don't care, line moved, pool goes in now! :goodjob:

photo-710375.jpg

photo-736262.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No juice, I had cut everything off just in case.

Day 34 - The hole is dug. Went home at lunch and they are halfway through. That is a lot of dirt...my backyard has a lot of humps now. Good thing my wife wasn't home today since apparently my pool builder is a hunk she says.

photo-715028.jpg

Hole dug today, walls installed and backfilled on Thursday is the plan pending this wonderful rainy weather.

Yep that's him. Just remember to move all your landscaping and leave plenty of room for the fill dirt or you'll wind up with this. It will be very interesting to see how he gets the dirt behind the pool since you can't drive heavy equipment through the side yard due to the septic tank.

photo-799946.jpg

Yes I do luckily. Wish he had taken most of it off-site during the dig so most of my back lawn wouldn't have needed to be replaced. Oh Well.....

How is your build coming along, walls up and piping started yet?

We have progress although nowhere near as much as your pool.

They been working about 6 hours a day the last two days and have gotten the walls constructed, leveled and 90% of the supports in and ready for concrete. The dig on one end of the deep end was off by a foot so that took some time to dig by hand.

Hopefully piping will start Friday or early next week. I may have sold him a lot more expensive pool from one of our friends but they want to see how mine progresses to determine if they are going to use him. This seems to have lit a fire on my pool progress.

photo-782527.jpg

photo-700947.jpg

Thanks for the update milkman. I'm glad you are starting to see some progress. I'm sure you're ready to go for a swim!

I sort of hate to mention this since it's still so early in the game... but that hill on the far side of your pool worries me. (seen on the right hand side of the top pic) It brings back a not so pleasant memory of something that happened to me about 15 years ago. We had an IG pool built at my former house with a small hill right behind it. The pool was finished in the fall and we were exhausted and ready for a break. We decided to put off finishing the landscaping until the weather got warmer. We didn't even give a thought to what would obviously happen if it came a good hard flooding rain, which it did. It took me a month to get that pool clear again. Sigh....

Is your PB going to knock the hill down or work out a foolproof drainage system?

I may be worried over nothing, it's just something to think about. Here in Alabama we get some unbelievable gullywashers.

By the way, I love those dark blue steps! It's going to look great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.