the process of adjusting TA

I am so thoroughly confused. When I put my numbers into the calculator, it says to add 354 oz of borax to get the pH up to 7.2 My box held 76 oz. that would come to 4.66 boxes. I just retested. I am terrible at matching colors. It MIGHT be more than 6.8 But definitely NOT 7.2 seriously irritating.

8corneflakes said:
I am so thoroughly confused. When I put my numbers into the calculator, it says to add 354 oz of borax to get the pH up to 7.2 My box held 76 oz. that would come to 4.66 boxes. I just retested. I am terrible at matching colors. It MIGHT be more than 6.8 But definitely NOT 7.2 seriously irritating.

That matches the number I got, too.

Thinkly did not say what numbers they were using in the calculator. Just by guessing, they might have used 6.8 to 7.5 and not adjusted the TA to 130. That comes up with 385 oz (5.1 boxes).

When adjusting TA or pH, it is very important that you do not add any more acid until your pH gets back high again to 7.8. If you want to lower it sooner, like when it hits 7.5, then you really have to adjust the amount that you are adding. As your TA gets lower, it will take less acid to move the pH and that is why you need both numbers plugged into the pool calculator to determine how much to add.

here is exactly what went wrong in my thinking process from the very start. I was under the assumption (you know what that does) that TA could only be lowered when pH was lowered. I am a more is good, so much more should be better kind of girl. Now I understand that baby steps are what I should have taken. After adding MA, my TA dropped a bit and since my pH was still low I figured I might as well save myself a step in the process. No so! Live and learn. I'm gonna give it a half hour and then retest again. I will have my husband decide what color the pH is at and add borax accordingly. Patience was never one of my virtues.

just retested and it is definetly above 6.8 FINALLY. Color is between the 6.8 and 7.2 marker. I would guess it is at 7.

I didn't add any more borax than my pitiful initial dose of 16 oz. Suggestions now. Add more borax, or just keep aerating. What a relief. I don't like to be stressed about ruining brand new equipment, but it is nice to know that I have the power to :?

Husband confirmed pH and says it is at 7.0 (and probably 7.1) I am wondering how I know if I should still tackle TA or just let it set forever. It is now at 130-135. Based on what happened today, my pH will rise .3 for each day that we swim with the jets and slide on. Even though it looked like super aeration, it is just a day in the life for us. That would mean that if we swam everyday, the pH would be up to 7.6 within three days. Thoughts?

8corneflakes said:
Husband confirmed pH and says it is at 7.0 (and probably 7.1) I am wondering how I know if I should still tackle TA or just let it set forever. It is now at 130-135. Based on what happened today, my pH will rise .3 for each day that we swim with the jets and slide on. Even though it looked like super aeration, it is just a day in the life for us. That would mean that if we swam everyday, the pH would be up to 7.6 within three days. Thoughts?
The pH will rise more slowly as it gets higher. Given how much aeration was needed to get the pH up, your current TA level will probably be a lot more livable than it was before. If you target a 7.6 to 7.8 pH range, then you may find the pH to be relatively stable. For now, I'd just see how things go. You've significantly lowered your TA which was what you wanted to do. You can always lower it more in the future if you feel it necessary and if the pH goes up and you add acid then that will lower the TA slowly over time anyway (unless you have a lot of evaporation and refill with fill water high in TA).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.