The dreaded mustard?

TonyWI

May 21, 2015
Wauwatosa, WI
Backstory, had pool about five years. Water pretty much managed itself using the advice here and methods. Went a spell early this year without a SWG (replaced it) and went live with it in late spring. During that period we were on pucks and liquid chlorine.

Water has been mostly clear this summer, with a few touches of hazy after big swims. A few weeks ago (or maybe a few months?) I started noticing a significant chlorine drop over the day (like, almost depleted entirely) so bumped the SWG to 100% thinking it was our blazing sun and (unusual) 100 degree temps. Still losing chlorine, and not able to keep at our recommended range even running 24 hours at 100%. CYA is a bit low @ 50 (I like it at 70) but I have hesitated to add more because:

Let's SLAM. This is the third now in about a month, if I remember correctly. Each time, we pass OCLT, including <1ppm loss, no CC, and beautiful sparkly water. Over the course of the next week we seem to drift back into the chlorine demand cycle. We start to lose a ton overnight and SWG can't keep up during the next day.

This weeks SLAM, started on the 7th, with clear water:
FC 6.5​
CC 0.5​
PH 7.8​
TA 100​
CH 250​
CYA 50 (low)​
3600 Salt​

Targeting >22 ppm to be safe. We lost 3ppm overnight first evening, I gave it a chlorine hammer (up to 29 ppm) yesterday after sunset, and still lost ~4ppm overnight. We're now clocking in at 12 gallons of 12.5% in two days, just to maintain at 22. CC has varied, usually 0.5 but hits 1 occasionally. I expect to dump at least 4 maybe 6 gallons in today depending on how fast it eats it.

Now, I know green (see my old threads) and this is different. In the past our opening SLAM would keep us sparkly through the year. Maybe a touch up here and there after big swims or storms, but generally no problem. This summer our pool is a chlorine eating monster.

One thing I did notice was a weird yellowish but more brown staining on our steps, and around our first return. Pool is in need of a resurface, so excuse the crappy disintegrating paint job. (And I wonder if all this texture is providing a new home for algae to thrive... ugh.) This area gets afternoon shade.

BAAC18EF-8917-44FD-9330-22DD1DDB2E44_1_105_c.jpeg

We've brushed this area out with a stainless algae brush, as well as the steps. And brushed the rest of the pool, too. I plan to pop the light out of the niche this afternoon to see if any uglies are hiding in there. The rest of the pool isn't showing any of the yellow. I can read the words on the main drain cover, through about 9 ft of water.

So - my question. Does this match the pattern of a mustard algae issue? Based on what I read it does, but looking for some confirmation from folks that have faced this challenge.

Tony

It does sound like it could be mustard algae. The only difference when you suspect mustard algae is that after your regular SLAM passes all 3 criteria you then raise the FC to mustard level per the FC/CYA chart for 24 hrs. Mustard Algae link. I see no harm in doing this in your case.

For cleaning your filter, just clean as needed when the pressure raises by 25%. This will typically be needed more often during a SLAM as your filter removes the dead algae. The high chlorine levels while SLAMing are also running through your filter 24/7 and therefore are killing anything in your filter too.

One thought... How is the circulation in your pool? Are there dead spots where the localized FC could be dropping lower (below minimum) than the area you are pulling samples from? How often are you brushing your pool? For most people, brushing once a week is enough for normal maintenance, but in some pools you will need to brush more often to prevent algae. Keeping your target FC a few points higher may help with this as well.

Also, you mentioned how clear your water is, which is great, but for purposes of a SLAM if there is visible algae in your pool, the water is not considered to be clear.

For the stains, do you think the darker areas are algae or is the paint wearing away and exposing the plaster underneath?

How is the circulation in your pool? Are there dead spots where the localized FC could be dropping lower (below minimum) than the area you are pulling samples from?

Generally good, however this is the first return in the series so I'd say the water there is probably the "deadest" in the pool.

How often are you brushing your pool?
Not often enough. :) But Rosie (Dolphin M500) runs daily so that helps.

For the stains, do you think the darker areas are algae or is the paint wearing away and exposing the plaster underneath?
The yellow/translucent would be the algae and the darker is the paint chipping away. Figuring the nice rough texture is giving it a perfect spot to bloom.

We're about to the point of passing OCLT now (smaller loss every day), and have a spare set of cartridges ready to go. Will overshoot the 30ppm, and maintain 24 hours. Then looking like we will keep elevated chlorine levels probably for the rest of the season (only a few months to go now.)

Looks like iron. Confirm with a vitamin C tablet, which should make it disappear.

If you remove the cartridge, does it look like rusty iron color?

As the iron passes through the cell, the chlorine oxides the iron and the high pH oxide and hydroxide combines with the oxidized iron to create insoluble iron oxide or hydroxide.

If you remove the cell, you will probably find that the plumbing before the cell is clean and after the cell is brown.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.