The Definitive Pool Deck Restoration Thread

Mar 25, 2017
Austin, TX
  • I will attempt to start a definitive list of solutions to restore your aging pool deck...Please add your experiences and I will update the master list. Please also add any tips and tricks, photos. I will add your username so people reference your how to post.

Types of Paints / Stains found in TFP Posts
DIY Applied

• Sherwin Williams H&C Acryla Deck
    • (from Steve456 08-10-2010) ​I used H&C Concrete Stain on my pool deck. I did not do an acid stain nor did I seal the pool deck. The stain changed the color of the concrete deck. The stain did not change the texture of the concrete deck; the deck is not slippery. It is not a glossy finish.
    • (from TGMcCallie 08-01-2010) I used it to finish my concrete front porch and it has been down for 5 years and has not chipped, cracked or pealed. It goes down into the concrete. Regular paint will peal off even if it is the type that you use to paint pool bottom.
  • Olympic Rescue It
    • ​(from JodieM 03--5-2017) It is a Resurfacer, Primer and Sealant. Fine sand like texture. No special roller needed, just a medium knap. No update on success that I found.
  • Rust-oleum Deck and Concrete Restore Advanced Resurfacer.
    • (from JodieM 03--5-2017) It has a very thick finish/texture. Fills cracks and gaps and requires a roller made by Rust-Oleum specific to the product. Both can be found a Lowes. There is a free brochure with several colors to choose from. We chose the Olympic and will be painting in the next few weeks.
    • (from Foxy 06-10-2017) We bought a can of this 4 years ago just to try it out and painted it over our existing spray deck in a small area without any prep other than washing, it held up great and was harder to remove than the old spray deck was. Reviews are mixed on it adhering well and lasting awhile though.

• Behr Granite Grip
    • ​(from Jersey Mike - 05-09-2017) I applied the Granite Grip to my patio in the backyard (not the pool deck) and was planning to do the pool deck later.......heck no haha! It actually looks good and is very stain and wear resistant (puts up with my 80lb Pit Bull who likes to take off like he is on the starting line of an 100 yard dash), but it was a PITA to apply. Maybe I'm just used to the ease of applying paint or stain, but with GG you need to use an adhesive roller, which I hate, and I had to do 4 coats to get a uniform color. Even though in the directions it warns you that the 1st coat is just light covering, the 1st and 2nd coats looked horrible and made me question if I even wanted to apply a 3rd. Like I said earlier after 4 coats it looks good and has a nice textured feel to it, but it was the application that was annoying for me.
  • Behr DeckOver
  • Berh Concrete Stain
  • Rust Oleoum Synta Deck restore
    • I believe that there is a class action lawsuit for peeling and not sure it is still sold
  • SGM One Step Spray Deck
    • (from chrisk500 - 04-04-2012) Was evaluating, but didn't see an update
  • Concrete Solutions (System) Texture Top, Resurfacer, Color Pak, Concrete Colorcoat (Spray Texture System | Pool & Patio Deck Restoration and Resurfacing)
    • I have a call into the company, specifically Ernie, who is the expert
    • (from Foxy 06-10-2017) If you can and want to DIY a spray deck, this is what we were going to use Texture-Top - Polymer Cement Decorative Concrete Resurfacing | BuyRhino.com and this is where we bought it in town http://www.concreteaccessoriesinc.com/location.php. We rented a large industrial concrete grinder from Ahern for a day for a couple hundred bucks, did the small areas with an angle grinder by hand. If you don't want to DIY a new textured deck and just paint the existing one anything you use may not hold up for very long without proper surface prep, power washing and acid etching may work for some coating, but grinding off the old surface, then power washing and also acid etching will work better for anything you choose. It all depends on how long you want it to last and how often you want to deal with touch ups.
  • NewLook International Restoration Solutions (NewLook International Restoration Solutions)
    • (from superray 08-31-2017) We have textured concrete around our pool and I used products from (NewLook International Restoration Solutions). It was DIY and I am happy with the results. The Tique Wash was a little odd for me in application but it certainly was an overall improvement and freshened the tired surface up. I installed the EnduraCool, but not 100% sure that it worked that well for cooling as advertised. It's a roll on/brush on stain so not the thickness that Kool Decking has. In the end it wasn't 100% perfect and I would have done a few things different, but it certainly will get me by for a few more years and wasn't the $4-$5K I was quoted by others. I used the EnduraCool, Smartseal WB Gloss and Gription and Tique Wash to highlight the texture. I followed the instructions with washing, etching, neutralizing and application in their videos.
  • Kool Deck
  • Encore Cool
  • Dry Treat http://www.drytreat.com/Surfaces/Concrete-Paving
  • Glaze-N-Seal Product Usage Chart - Glaze N Seal Products
  • Brickform Brickform
  • Dupont http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Professional/en_US/products/clean/klenz_all_cleaner.html
  • Porter Paints http://www.ppgporterpaints.com/products/primers/seal_stain_killing/index.htm
  • Dyco Paints Matte Water-Based Pool Paint
  • SEAL-KRETE® Textured Paints for Concrete
Company Applied

• Sundek

Non-Skid Additives

• Behr Non-Skid Floor Finish Additive
  • H&C SharkGrip Slip Resistant Additive
Crack Repair
  • Polyurethane caulk

Surface Cleaning / Preparation
  • Muratic Acid
  • TSP

Clear Concrete / Stone Sealants

Mastic Replacement

• Deck-o-Seal
    • Video Deck-O-Seal Quick Mix Training - YouTube
    • (from edavis6678 - 06-30-2015)
      • 1) Finish it in 1 day -- i started too late in the day on the first round and had to stop halfway because of it getting too hot. I only had 1 day off to complete so I had to wait for another couples months before I could actually finish
        2) Back fill with more sand underneath so you aren't using so much material on top.
        3) Although it's not suggested by the manufacture, sprinkling of sand on the top makes it look really nice.
        4) Don't be afraid to get a customer color -- i think it made it look better.
        5) When mixing; go slow - if you mix too fast it creates bubbles (see pics below)
        6) Don't beat yourself up if it isn't perfect -- just realize you saved yourself a lot of money doing it yourself
        7) Next time i do it, i may consider hiring someone to just to assist on the "pour"
  • SikaFlex SL
  • Vulkem 45SSL

We have textured concrete around our pool and I used products from (NewLook International Restoration Solutions). It was DIY and I am happy with the results. The Tique Wash was a little odd for me in application but it certainly was an overall improvement and freshened the tired surface up. I installed the EnduraCool, but not 100% sure that it worked that well for cooling as advertised. It's a roll on/brush on stain so not the thickness that Kool Decking has. In the end it wasn't 100% perfect and I would have done a few things different, but it certainly will get me by for a few more years and wasn't the $4-$5K I was quoted by others. I used the EnduraCool, Smartseal WB Gloss and Gription and Tique Wash to highlight the texture. I followed the instructions with washing, etching, neutralizing and application in their videos.

We have textured concrete around our pool and I used products from (NewLook International Restoration Solutions). It was DIY and I am happy with the results. The Tique Wash was a little odd for me in application but it certainly was an overall improvement and freshened the tired surface up. I installed the EnduraCool, but not 100% sure that it worked that well for cooling as advertised. It's a roll on/brush on stain so not the thickness that Kool Decking has. In the end it wasn't 100% perfect and I would have done a few things different, but it certainly will get me by for a few more years and wasn't the $4-$5K I was quoted by others. I used the EnduraCool, Smartseal WB Gloss and Gription and Tique Wash to highlight the texture. I followed the instructions with washing, etching, neutralizing and application in their videos.

Thanks for the feedback! I would like to turn this into an educational thread so if you are okay I may edit my original post with your new info. Can you tell me a little more about preparation (acid wash, etc) and any additional experiences?

I used YouTube for most of the information on etching the concrete with Muriatic Acid as there is tons of information there regarding cleaning and prepping the surface for stains.
Did the TSP for Oil removal and ensure water soaked into concrete with spot tests (to make sure water does not stay up on surface from grease/oils), pressure washed with a 10-15 degree fan tip and 2500PSI washer, used MA to open the concrete pores and further remove any contaminants from the surface, neutralized with baking soda and from there followed the instructions for application from the product manufacture.

Things I would have done different:
  • Would probably gone a shade or two darker on the stain as it was lighter once applied than it looks in the samples and in the 5G pail.
  • The video shows to shake the Gription like a salt shaker into the wet surface of the sealer, but I found just pouring in to the sealant pail, mixing then rolling on was more even application of the skip resistance product.
  • I applied the Tique Wash a little too heavy and while it darkened the original color and highlighted the texture as I wanted it did streak a little when the sealer was applied (but again this related back to me wanting a little darker color overall once the base was applied so applied this too heavy, my fault..not the products)

The main thing that I can say is clean, clean, clean! Prep work is 99% of the work! I recommend you do your own research as I'm 100% and DIYer at this so just sharing my results.
20170318_091520_resized.jpg20170312_085152_resized_2.jpg20170312_171557_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20170312_172438_resized.jpg
    20170312_172438_resized.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 292
Curious how much others were quoted for a professional to clean, prep and apply a new color (we’re using H&C from Sherwin Williams). Our contractor made some mistakes and to compensate us, agreed to do this job (1400 sq feet) for $3,900 which he says is “at cost,” meaning that he will not make a profit. No repairs are needed. It’s just clean prep and apply the paint I’ve already purchased. Sorry if this is the wrong place for the question. I didn’t want to start a new thread and couldn’t find another appropriate thread.

Thanks, Joanna

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, it is kind of a racket where I live and when I say ‘racket,’ I really do mean racketeering. Very few companies, definite anti-competitive conduct. I couldn’t get a quote from a reputable pool contractor that does it because there are only two and they have a gentleman’s agreement not to work on one another’s pools. Actually the plastering company has the same agreement. Shady stuff. Anyway I could start calling around to the smaller service companies but I did that when we first moved in and most of them tried to sell me on “re-surfacing” or other much more expensive processes. I call this the Linda Evangelista complex. The legendary supermodel supposedly told a reporter in the 1990s that she doesn’t get out of bed for less than $10,000 per day. The same is true for many miscellaneous service companies in my city. They won’t even come look at a small job. And I have been burned in the past by small companies with little experience. It never seems to turn out well. So that’s why I asked here— I was thinking someone else has done this and remembers what s/he paid.[/FONT][/FONT]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.