The best Shock/ Chlorine Value?

Aug 23, 2017
St Paul/ MN
I am fairly new to the pool world and as you know there are countless shock/ chlorine brands all claiming to do the best job. Some of which do nothing. I have a 20 x 40 lazy L in ground about 30,000 gallon, this thing will bankrupt me if I don't figure it out soon! Please tell me what you use for chlorine/ shock and why you like it. I appreciate your opinions and help!

Reactions: mwnave
Hello and welcoem to our forum! :wave: Probably best you go right to a couple of our pages to get aquainted with the proper FC level and why. Start with our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to get an overall understanding of each component. If you have cloudiness or algae, you'll need to perform a SLAM Process. For that SLAM, you'll reference the FC/CYA Levels which will tell you how high your FC needs to be using liquid chlorine or regular bleach. The foundation of all this is having the proper test kit - either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I'd recomend the TF-100, but you must have one of them. Review those links and let us know if you still have queestions.

I definitely agree with Pat. In my humble opinion, it is more important to determine HOW MUCH chlorine to add to your pool than what brand of chlorine to add. And to know that, you'll need to test the pool water yourself. The volunteers here are really awesome and they can help you take control of your pool water fairly quickly.

But to answer your question in general, folks here on TFP recommend liquid chlorine; unless you have a salt water chlorine generator. And I agree with your statement about "Some of which do nothing" because I've purchased some very old (and therefore very weak) Walmart brand chlorine that did practically nothing when I added it to my above ground pool. But when I get the fresh stuff, it works great.

Taking care of your pool for yourself is really not expensive if you keep the water tested every day or two and add what your pool needs. Baking soda, cyanuric acid, liquid chlorine, etc. I think I kept my pool water healthy and clear blue last summer for around $175 - $200 total. But, I've got approximately half the number of gallons that you have so your mileage may vary. :cool:

Is this test kit as complicated as it looks?
Not at all! Comes wiht very good instructions, and we have amplified instructions here on the forum. Plus, members are always availalble to help guide you through a test if needed. Once received, you'll see the difference.

Reactions: BadHoney
In pool chemicals brand is almost pointless, ingredients list is! Whatever you buy you want to make sure it is 99%+ of the chemical and no extra special stuff. One exception is Cal hypo that comes in 53% and 73% irc.

Test kit is easy and the best thing! This does matter on brand it needs to be a Taylor 2006c or the tf100 which is built on the taylor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.