Thanks to TFP I don't know what I am looking At

thebrez1

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2020
Tulsa oklahoma
Stupid questions. Thanks to TFP I have never had algae so I don't know what I am looking at, but I have brown dust splotches on the bottom of my fresh water pool. Here is the problem: since I don't know what it looks like, I can't tell if it is just dust from the last few days of rain (Oklahoma) or the result of the high chlorine I put in for the three days before it rained. They do vacuum up like smoke and do not appear to be gritty. It is evenly dispersed around the bottom in low spots and seams. There was no real reason for the extra chlorine; i have no chlorine demand. Levels hold steady. I just wanted to make sure. TC has been around 6 prior to the increase, but ran it to 16 for three days. CC & FC 6=6.5, CYA is 30, TA 100, pH 7.5=7.8, borates 50 ppm, water temp 85-88, CH 220 (even though its vinyl) and has been kept at these levels. No ups or downs. check every day. Brush 2 times a week, vacuum at least once a week, nothing slippery. Could I still have algae? I Have wedding cake stairs (ya I know) that I am going to float out into the pool and scrub tomorrow just to put my mind at ease, but they are not slippery at all, even under them and in back.. Water is crystal clean With a chlorine level of 6,, is that enough to scrub the stairs in? 10500 gal vinyl, above=ground, sand dollar 60 filter pentair 1.5 hp pump running 6 hrs over night and 4 hrs afternoon. Trouble free pool is my rock!
📷
It is the way it vacuums up that has me worried. Also, the stairs are about 12 feet from my inlet water jet and the water swirls both behind and in front so they get good circulation.

Note: I vacuumed to waste through a hose by hand last night. No chlorine drop over night. More on the floor this morning but near as much. Could this be from the filter and not actually algae? Pulled out the stairs and they are squeaky clean. Brushed them anyway. No visible algae and the liner is squeaky clean as well. No discoloration. How can I know if this is algae or just Oklahoma dust?

Why did you put in extra chlorine? Especially at higher than SLAM level. You’ll bleach out your liner.

Having said that, poofy sediment that appears when you raise your chlorine level could very well be dead algae. Definitely brush everything well, including stairs. I always raise my chlorine level to SLAM when I’m cleaning stairs - they are too heavy for me to take out of pool, so I clean them in the pool.

if I were in your shoes, I’d SLAM until pool is completely clear, OCLT is passed and CCs are .5 or less.

Thanks Kelly. See the problem is I have been above SLAM levels. I have no chlorine loss and CC 0. I put in the extra chlorine just because I wanted to make sure I did not have algae. Just being paranoid I guess. Pool is super clear and nothing is slippery

It can be.

I know you had your pool at higher than SLAM level - which I still don‘t understand. If your pool was sparkling clean, what made you worry?

What I am recommending is that you follow SLAM for a couple of days, the way it is written, because you were still seeing some settling, this morning. Then, when you no longer see debris on any surface, do OCLT.

Just went to 22 on chlorine after brushing and removing/scrubbing stairs. Plan to keep it there tomorrow also. My OCLT has been showing no loss, that's what has me baffled. SLAMing anyway to MA levels. I will let you know. I have been following everything and doing everything as per this site and water has been great! That is why I am perplexed. How is it even possible to get algae when everything has been by the book?? Even did the borate treatment to 50 ppm. Guess it can just ha;;en no matter what you do!? Thanks for the help

Those stairs can be a haven for algae that you have just been keeping at bay with proper levels but not eradicating.
A full by the book SLAM Processshould take care of it.
if you’re seeing visible algae then you’re water doesn’t pass the “clear” end of slam criteria.
U need to hold slam level until it goes away.
After doing so then proceed w/the MA level & protocols for 24hrs. But no longer as u don’t want to damage anything.

SLAM level for CYA of 30 is 12... why did you take FC up so high? Seriously, there is no reason to do so and you are going to damage your liner if you keep doing that.

There are three components to completing a SLAM - passing OCLT is just one. You also need to have CC at .5 or less, AND no visible algae. So I wouldn’t bother with OCLT until you no longer see dead algae settling into corners, seams and such. Not even a little bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.