Thankful for the resource - Leaking Sand Filter

clemob

Mar 3, 2021
Bixby
I have a Pentair Triton sand filter. So my obvious leaks are the drain plug at the base and yesterday I notice water oozing from the top side of the tank in a couple of place, not much, but droplets form. Should I be concerned with catastrophic failure? The tank is approximately 25 years old, so it needs to be replaced. I have a 40,000 gallon pool, with todays technology changes and modern composites what type of filter tank should I be looking for?

Welcome to TFP :)

You could try using some lube on the connections and reinstall to see if the leaks stop... As far as a new filter do you want to go back with a sand filter? The TR100 is a massive sand filter... The Pentair clean and clear plus cart filters are great and waist no water, if big enough you only clean once a year..

what size pool do you have? mine is 15,000 gallons and my CCP 320 I only clean once a year.. :)

Hey clem and Welcome !!!
with todays technology changes and modern composites what type of filter tank should I be looking for?
Well sand hasn’t changed since it’s original design a few millennia ago. Feel free to keep using it. The filter tank itself basically still does the same thing too........ push water through the sand to filter out particles.

I’m a biased Cartridge guy but some people decide to keep what they know, and others think that with less maintenance but more work that one time, cartridges aren’t for them. Not to upset my DE peeps, There are a few million folks who swear by that too. There are no wrong answers. Keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.