TFP newbie, lost and confused

KimKY

May 25, 2020
Walton, KY
We've had a 24' above ground pool for a few years now but turned to the pool store for all testing and chemical recommendations. THis year I decided to do that myself and bought the TFP recommended test kit. I'm fine with doing the testing of my water, but I am not sure I am clear on how to address the issues as they arise. When we opened the pool just over a week ago and got as many leaves, etc. out and cleaned and vacuumed the pool and filter, I ran the tests and lowered pH to 7.2 and started the SLAM. My TA has always been over 120 and my FC and CC has remained really low even though I've been adding a gallon to 2 gallons of 10% bleach almost daily, and I've added CYA. I have never hit the SLAM level of chlorine I'm supposed to and it's been a week. I am using the pool math app and adding the CYA and chlorine it recommends. What am I doing wrong? I'm wondering if I am missing a step by step instruction in this website that would walk me through this process as I am getting frustrated. We haven't done another vacuuming yet since the CYA was taking so long to mix in. The most recent addition was last night and my impression is to not do any cleaning for a week after that. Please help. And Thank You!

Kim, welcome to TFP! :wave: So you have confirmed that you lowered the pH in preparation for the SLAM Process, but seem to be stalled from there unable to get the FC to SLAM level per the FC/CYA Levels. So let's clear up a couple things. First, TA has really no bearing on your current situation, so don't worry about TA right now. What we really need to know is your CYA. Please post a good CYA number so we can give you a good path forward.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.