TF 100 kit

JenF75

Jul 12, 2017
Stouffville, ON, Canada
Any Canadians know if there are any restrictions on importing the TF 100 kit into Canada? I know they don’t ship to Canada, so I usually just have it shipped to a US address and pick up, but we’re unable to cross the border at this time. I want to use a parcel pick up service that’s still running right now, but they have very strict regulations on what you can and cannot bring into Canada. I just want to be sure I’m not breaking the law by importing this kit across the border (I’ve been researching and can’t find anything about this). I’m panicking that I’m going to have to use the pool store to test my water! LOL

I can't imaging there would be a prohibition.

The reagents in the kit are sold in Canada, just at a huge markup because one company has the sole dealership for Taylor chemicals inside Canada.

Reactions: JenF75
That's a very interesting questions. I'm wondering... do they sell any other types of testing kits that can be shipped via amazon other than TF-100?
The only kit we trust that is sold in Canada is the Taylor K-2006. One company has the exclusive right to sell all Taylor products in Canada.

So, the Taylor kit you amy be able to buy in the US for $100 is $300 in Canada because they have no direct competition.

Reactions: Mendy48
I am interested by the initial question too. I also usually pick up my stuff directly in the USA but that is not possible at the moment.

Last year I have been told that tftestkit do a sale each spring for reagent. I didn’t heard about it yet but my plan for this year was to buy refill from them during this sale and support them as they are part of the TFP community. I should write to them directly to know but I don’t understand why they don’t ship to Canada. I think they would make many people of the TFP community in Canada happy and even more in the actual situation.

I am interested by the initial question too. I also usually pick up my stuff directly in the USA but that is not possible at the moment.

I don’t understand why they don’t ship to Canada.
Because they (TF Testkits) are a registered distributor of Taylor products, but only inside the US. As I said above, one company has paid Taylor to have the exclusive distributorship for the entire country of Canada. If any US distribtor ships there they will loose the right to sell Taylor products.

Last year I have been told that tftestkit do a sale each spring for reagent. I didn’t heard about it yet but my plan for this year was to buy refill from them during this sale and support them as they are part of the TFP community. I should write to them directly to know but I don’t understand why they don’t ship to Canada. I think they would make many people of the TFP community in Canada happy and even more in the actual situation.

I plan on using the service Home - CrossBorder Pickups for my order this year. I just need to confirm their fees when they’re open tomorrow to be sure it’s still worth it (but it’s looks like I could get my package for about $10 extra, which would be great!). I much prefer to buy from TF test kits if possible.

Ok thanks. I’ll look at your link. It seems interesting. If it is 10$ it is not that bad for not having to drive and wait at the border.
Thanks!
Picked up my order from Cross Border Pick ups today. I ended up paying $26 ($14 for taxes charged at the border and $11 for their service fee). It worked out great for me and I was happy with paying that fee for the convenience and getting the kit that I’m used to using and comfortable with!

Just curious. The 14$ is it for sales taxes or duties or mix of both?
Last year I have not been charged anything when entering Canada with my test kit.

I am in Quebec so I am far away from their location. I saw that they could ship it to me. I may ask them and try that option but that would mean another 15$ more I suppose for delivery.

I still heard nothing about border reopening so it make me feel sad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, it was $14 and change for the taxes (I spent $85 US before taxes and shipping from TF test) kits. Duties was $0 (I guess because it’s made in the USA). Their fee was $10+ tax, so in total it all came to $26 and change CAD. Works in a pinch with the border closed and still cheaper than ordering from any place I found in Canada.

I do know that some mail forwarders that Canadians use will not forward certain chemicals. Back in March 2018 I purchased some reagents from Amazon US to refill my TF-100 kit and the forwarder I used (shipito.com) would not forward them to me in Canada. Bummer. The Taylor exclusively in Canada vs chemical import restrictions are of course two different things.

Kal

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.