Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I finally received the TF-100 test kit and below are my test results.

I don’t have the baking soda but do have the TA powder similar to below. Is it equivalent to baking soda?

I have liquid chlorine and will need to buy liquid stabilizer.

My SWG is on at 60% - what’s the order I should add the items? Can I do it now during the sunlight?

Thanks for your help!

ED40F17A-68CB-423B-BBBE-803CF1B237E2.jpeg
4EBE941D-68FA-443C-8F1A-DD6990EFFDE1.png

You should add granular CYA first using the sock method, to whatever concentration is suggested by your SWG. Then adjust the alkalinity to around 60, your product is baking soda. FYI, Costco sells 6 x 500 g Arm ane Hammer for 5.99. Cheapest I have found. You can swim if you can maintain that FC concentration, but it would be wiser to add some CYA.

Last edited:
You should add granular CYA first using the sock method, to whatever concentration is suggested by your SWG. Then adjust the alkalinity to around 60, your product is baking soda. FYI, Costco sells 6 x 500 g Arm ane Hammer for 5.99. Cheapest I have found. You can swim if you can maintain that FC concentration, but it would be wiser to add some CYA.
Thank you for your suggestion! I'm purchasing CYA and adding it tomorrow. I have added Baking Soda 2 days ago... going to re-test tomorrow.

CYA dissolves much more slowly than baking soda. You squeeze the sock periodically to release a cloud of CYA. You should wait at least 24 hours to allow for complete dissolution before retesting CYA. Afterwards, monitor FC for a few days to determine if you need to lower your SWG output.

Sorry, one more question, is the pool swimmable in the current condition? No green stuffs in the pool.
The pool is safe to swim in if your pH is in the 7's, your FC is at or below SLAM level for your CYA, and you can clearly see the bottom of the whole pool.

CYA dissolves much more slowly than baking soda. You squeeze the sock periodically to release a cloud of CYA. You should wait at least 24 hours to allow for complete dissolution before retesting CYA. Afterwards, monitor FC for a few days to determine if you need to lower your SWG output.
Thank you. I bought a skimmer sock so it should help with the CYA.

The pool is safe to swim in if your pH is in the 7's, your FC is at or below SLAM level for your CYA, and you can clearly see the bottom of the whole pool.
Yep.. I was able to see the bottom and the PH is in the high 7.

Interestingly, I just turned on the heater for the 1st time after the winter and the water coming out from the pump is cloudy.

Thank you. I bought a skimmer sock so it should help with the CYA.
Just a heads up, a skimmer sock is different from putting CYA in a sock in the skimmer. A skimmer sock is meant to go over the basket in your skimmer to catch things that might typically make it through the holes in the basket. A sock in the skimmer is literally an old sock like you would wear on your foot, or stocking, or something similar that you put the CYA into and let it dissolve while it’s inside that.

Oopse.... I made the mistake by putting it in the skimmer sock instead of a "sock" :'(.

Happy to say that thanks to the help from you and others here, the Chlorine seems to maintain really well with the 55% SWG output.

Thank you so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.