testing liquid chlorine %

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
I seem to be math impaired, can somebody help? supposed to be 12.5%, no way. pool is 6800 gallons, maybe a little more with rain but it took over 93 ounces to raise free chlorine 6ppm yesterday. pool math told me 56 oz to raise it 8 ppm, and that only took it up 5 when it should have taken it 8. added 21 oz more and that raised it 1 ppm.

can someone help guess what the actual % my chlorine is? I am thinking 7%???

it sure isn't as yellow as it should be and one bottle had some kind of sediment or something floating around in it. I think the place I get it is leaving it out in the sun or something. not cleaning the refill bottles or...???

I think the 10% at wallyworld or ace is cheaper if this is only 7% and I will be complaining.

overnite test was fine, I wasn't testing after dosing and would comeback the next day thinking I was burning a LOT. finally yesterday tested after dosing and mixing and realized I just wasn't getting it up where I thought I was for the past week or two.

Last edited:
12.5% sodium hypochlorite doesn’t last long even under ideal conditions. At 90°F it has a half life of around 75 days. So that means in one month it could easily get close to 6%. Depending on the date code for its manufacturing and how the retailer was storing it, it likely wasn’t 12.5% when you bought it and then you leave it on the porch where AZ day time temps easily hit 100F + everyday.

You need to use it up more quickly and store it better…. Keeping large amounts of LC sitting around is just going to lead to waste.

Maybe they fill the jug half with liquid chlorine and the rest with water from the garden hose ?
Ha! I think I need to ask some questions when I go for refills. which will be sooner than it should be as I have gone through this last batch pretty quickly.

I think it is closer to 7-8% becasue when I tested a little while ago I got 8 ppm and asked the app how much to get it to 12 ppm at 7% and it said add 48 ounces. I added that and read it about 20 minutes later. it was now 13.5ppm.

I actually don't need it that high since now I know I am only loosing 2-3 ppm in the sun, not the 5 or 6 I was ASSuming before. should have tested after adding when I first started to be "losing" so much, but of course I thought it was me doing something wrong - dirty filter, algae starting or something. and I can never remember (too lazy) to do the overnight test.

12.5% sodium hypochlorite doesn’t last long even under ideal conditions. At 90°F has a half life of around 75 days. So that means in one month it could easily get close to 6%. Depending on the date code for its manufacturing and how the retailer was storing it, it likely wasn’t 12.5% when you bought it and then you leave it on the porch where AZ day time temps easily hit 100F + everyday.

You need to store it better….
I'm getting it at EKonomy on Speedway and Wilmot and I don't have anyplace else to store it. the fridge is full, and no AC out here (I'm at 4500 ft, so it cools off at night and I use the pool in the day)

they don't seem to list a date code and I will be asking them that in a few days. I don't know how often they get a load or how they store it, I have had this batch less than two weeks. Also have been getting it from them for years and don't recall having this issue before. but they do seem to be keeping the days sales outdoors under an awning near the parking lot now. they used to wheel your crates out from somewhere seemingly in the building. I feel like when you are driving a beater that keeps breaking down and you keep dumping more money into it. I should have got a new SWG a few years ago. ugh.

They keep the LC outdoors and in storage. They sell the outdoor stuff to a lot of contractors so those guys are picking it up and using it daily. I wouldn’t buy it there. You’d be better off getting 10% at Walmart or ACE where you can check date codes. Even at 4500ft you’re still getting too hot during the day to keep it outdoors. Unless you can keep it cooler indoors, liquid chlorine is not a great option in these parts during the summer.

Yeah, an SWG is a much better option …

Reactions: Pv2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.