Testing for Metals

Henry121083

Silver Supporter
Aug 10, 2018
Newtown
Hi all,

Pool was a little low so I added some water from the hose - now pool is green (no algae present)

I'm reading it's because of iron mixing with chlorine (or just iron being in the water) Water is from a well.

Is there a test kit to test for metals in water? Should I even test it or just treat it somehow?

If I should just treat it, what should I treat it with?

Thanks
Henry

Hello Henry. :wave: Unfortunately, once iron is in the water it's in unless you exchange for fresh water. Testing kits for iron are generally not worth the cost for us residential pool owners. If you were really curious, the pool store iron test might give you a close estimate. Our Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page has some good info. But for now, use your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit to ensure the FC is on the lower end of the range for your CYA as seen on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and keep your pH low as well if you can. Sometimes that can help. To avoid having that iron precipitate out and try to stain, consider the use of a good sequestrant as well. The Magic Jack's line of sequestrants have been quite popular.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.