Tested water, now what?

JesOlson2311

Jul 12, 2021
Arlington, VA
First year we’ve had an Intex above ground pool, 18 ft round. I backwash it weekly, vacuum weekly, skim daily and test it every few days. The kids use it about every other day (2 kids) so it isn’t often covered. Have been using two Clorox tabs in a floater. And shock it with an 8-in-1 pack every week. Went away last week (shocked before I left) and came back to a green tint to the water. Shocked it last night and the green is gone but it’s still cloudy. Test results from this morning below. How do I clear up the water?

CYA: 35
PH: 7.8
Total alkalinity: 120
Calcium hardness: 140
Free chlorine: 15 (bc of shock, expect that to decrease quickly in the sun today)

Last edited:
Welcome!!!

You should start by reading this:

You have algae, you will need to SLAM:

You should also fill in your signature so we know what we are dealing with. What test kit are you using?

Reactions: JesOlson2311
Welcome to the forum.
Cloudy water means you killed the green algae and now it is floating around dead. But there is still more algae to be killed off.
Shocking the pool once and waiting for the FC to come back down will not kill off all the algae.
Reading the above articles posted by Katodude will help you to understand what is happening in your pool. :wave:

Reactions: JesOlson2311
Welcome!!!

You should start by reading this:

You have algae, you will need to SLAM:

You should also fill in your signature so we know what we are dealing with. What test kit are you using?
Thanks!! Test kit is Taylor (bottles and reagents)

Thanks!! Test kit is Taylor (bottles and reagents)

Taylor makes a tons of different testkits. Which model number do you have?

Fill out your signature with your pool, pool equipment (including manufacturer and model numbers) and your testkit information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.