Test kit question

ramirez41

Sep 20, 2023
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have the Taylor k-2006c test kit for my pool. My parents community pool is a salt water pool. Will my test kit work with their pool?

Their pool is primarily taken care of by a pool company and volunteers (my parents being one of them) add what they are told to, but they can not get it to hold free chlorine. The problem started last year. My Dad has made suggestions to the board, but they didn't want to do any of them. The pool store is insistent that the problem is phosphates and that tests strips are fine. No clue what their levels are. My parents are the ones doing the pool this weekend so if my test kit will work I run over there in the morning to test it for them. I assume the only test I can't perform is the salt content.

You can test it with your K-2006C.
But if the Board isn't going to listen to your dad, you are wasting your time.

And chances are that the city, county or state has specific standards that the pool must be maintained to.
They may limit CYA - and most likely will NOT allow you to use TFP methods.

We would have to find that out. We are in Michigan. The cya showed low on the test strip. It would be nice to know how low. If the chlorine is really low again tomorrow they will have to close the pool. My Dads suggestion was to drain and start over or change companies. The pool company keeps putting in a phosphate remover that isn't working and keep telling them the chlorine is being eaten up by phosphates. The board didn't want to do either.

We would have to find that out. We are in Michigan. The cya showed low on the test strip. It would be nice to know how low. If the chlorine is really low again tomorrow they will have to close the pool. My Dads suggestion was to drain and start over or change companies. The pool company keeps putting in a phosphate remover that isn't working and keep telling them the chlorine is being eaten up by phosphates. The board didn't want to do either.
Use your Taylor test kit to get numbers you can trust. Do you know what the phosphate level is in the pool? If no algae, then under 2,000ppb determined by a real test method shouldn't be a problem. Phosphate removers have their own problems. And yes you may need to check with the city or county health department about what is required and allowed. Of course, if the board won't listen, then your Dad just needs to get a pool he can manage for himself! I hate community pools. :)