test kit numbers say salt is high. panel says i'm low -leaving for vacay

Thanks for the update. After a challenging start, it's great to hear about your commitment to TFPC. I agree with your assessment that 60 ppm CYA is the right number to use.

You need to SLAM because of the zero FC and presence of algae, so think about when you want to do that.

You can balance the water so that the SWG cell rarely, if ever, needs cleaning. It will require that you get your calcite saturation index (CSI) below 0 but not less than -0.3

You can see the CSI result in PoolMath, and try a few different values to get a sense of how it works. You'll probably need to hold pH lower for a while, until TA comes down. CH at 650 is manageable if you get the other numbers in better shape.

Thanks for the update. After a challenging start, it's great to hear about your commitment to TFPC. I agree with your assessment that 60 ppm CYA is the right number to use.

You need to SLAM because of the zero FC and presence of algae, so think about when you want to do that.

You can balance the water so that the SWG cell rarely, if ever, needs cleaning. It will require that you get your calcite saturation index (CSI) below 0 but not less than -0.3

You can see the CSI result in PoolMath, and try a few different values to get a sense of how it works. You'll probably need to hold pH lower for a while, until TA comes down. CH at 650 is manageable if you get the other numbers in better shape.

needsajet. thx for your encouragement and info! I did a SLAM and everything is on track. I need to start keeping more acid around the house and checking more regularly. I think I'm understanding more and more, but now I just have to start getting my CSI near zero and keeping it there more regularly. thx!

Our SWCG limped along giving us low salt readings when it was on its way to fail. We kept adding salt then added up with a crazy high number of salt. I had tried to clean our Salt Cell to no avail. If your SWCG is not turning on, it just stores the last salt reading it had over the last working period. SWCGs last about 5 years - you are lucky if you get more time out of it! The black algae spots are because your chlorine is no longer being generated. Time for a new salt cell! Just went through this myself!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.