Test Kit - Newbie

Aug 14, 2018
Birmingham, AL
Hi everyone. I am new to the Trouble Free Pool site and forum and have been browsing much today. We moved into a home in 2015 that had an older pool and until this week, we have used a local pool maintenance company to take care of the pool as I have never owned a pool and was scared of screwing up the chemicals. I passed chemistry in high school just barely - by the skin on my teeth. Since the pool turned green three times this summer, I decided that we no longer needed the services (or lack of) provided by our pool maintenance company and my wife and I are going to take over - pool is green now. We don't own a test kit and have been using a local pool supply store in Birmingham, AL to test our water. After reading on this site, it is apparent that we probably need to learn how to test the water ourselves and are in need of a test kit.
I have looked on the Trouble Free Pool site and have found where the Taylor K-2006(c) and the TFT TF-100 tests are recommended. Since my wife and I will both be doing the testing and are novices at best, are these kits fairly easy to use or would something like a LaMotte photometric test kit be a little more user friendly? Are all equally as accurate? Any advice and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you count drops? If so you can use the titration tests ;) We do not recommend the digital testers.

I would higher recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net ... add the XL option since you have a green pool now and add the Speedstir is you can swing it as it makes the testing easier ... only have to count and not also stir :D

FYI, if you become a TFP forum supporter, you actually get a discount on the TF-100. Just something to consider :goodjob:

If you know your colors, can count up to fifty, and do simple arithmetic (with or without a calculator), then you can use a Taylor or TF test kit like a pro. If you really want to do it right, order the speedstir. And since you're starting with a green pool, you might as well order refills for the FAS-DPD test right now. For a TF100, that's the XL option.

And welcome! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.