Temporary pump

Jun 1, 2015
LI, New York
Due to a story that would be too long to tell here, I currently have no power to my pool's electrical subpanel. Electrician needs to run a new line from the house, which will be in about a week. In the meantime, I would like to get some water circulating and filtering. My plan was to hook my Superpump VS up to a standard 115V electrical outlet via extension cord but unfortunately it only runs on 230V and is not adaptable to 115V. So I am thinking I could borrow or purchase cheaply a Hayward Superpump (original non-VS version) and do this. My questions are:

1) It looks like the 1.5 HP version draws 18.6 amps. If I want to plug it into a standard 15 amp outlet I guess I will have to go with 1 HP?
2) My existing pump has been removed every winter by my pool guy for storage. I believe it has some kind of quick connect but I have never attempted to do so myself. What do I need to look for in the replacement to make sure it fits?

Thanks!

I think it would be simpler to just get a submersible pump to keep the water moving and then just maintain adequate chlorine in the pool.

That should be a much cheaper temporary solution.

Then worry about getting things filtered up after you can run your current pool equipment

I should add that the water is currently green due to a hole in the cover over the winter. I have had a submersible pump running but didn’t think that would be adequate for SLAM so I have not been adding chlorine. Do you think it would work?

I disagree a bit with Woody. You can certainly start the slam process and be killing off all the algae prior to filtering it. Often we would suggest even putting your filter into recirculate mode until the algae is killed if you cannot be around and cleaning the filter often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.