TDH question?

amin36

In The Industry
Nov 24, 2017
shahsavar
Guys

I want to calculate the TDH of one of my client's pool using a vacuum and pressure gauge on the pool pump to see if we need to change the pump and filter or not.

My question is:

Is this TDS calculation a constant number regardless of changing the pump or does it change if we change the pump?

Get the pressure gauge readings and convert them into feet of head.

Use this formula to generate a system curve where A is the total feet of head and B is the flow.

Y = A/((B/X)^2)

For example, if A = 50 feet of head and B = 80 gpm, then the graph is below for the system curve.

What pump does the customer have?

Use the pump performance curve to determine the flow from the total head.

If you have a variable speed pump, you can generate a system curve by checking the flow and head at various speeds, which is more accurate than using the formula.

Once you have a system curve, you can plot the pump performance curves on the same graph and find the operating points for the pump or for different speeds.

Is the pump single speed or variable speed?

1675190339938.png

1675203675648.png

Last edited:
Reactions: amin36
Is this TDS calculation a constant number regardless of changing the pump or does it change if we change the pump?
It changes with the pump, valve settings, RPM changes, almost anything you do to the plumbing will change TDH.

But the real question is why do you need to know TDH. In most cases it total unnecessary.

Last edited:
But the real question is why do you need to know TDH.
They are in the business and maybe they just want to do this on some pools to see what the system curve is.

It’s probably not necessary, but service techs should do it sometimes so that they know how to do it.
I want to calculate the TDH of one of my client's pool using a vacuum and pressure gauge on the pool pump to see if we need to change the pump and filter or not.
@amin36, what pump and filter are currently on the pool?

What issues are you trying to solve?

Can you describe pool, system and plumbing?

They are in the business and maybe they just want to do this on some pools to see what the system curve is.

It’s probably not necessary, but service techs should do it sometimes so that they know how to do it.

@amin36, what pump and filter are currently on the pool?

What issues are you trying to solve?

Can you describe pool, system and plumbing?
Thanks mark and james.i really apreciate your support!

Actually i want to calculate the real flow rate of the water to set a proper run time for the water circulation using pump curve.

Reactions: JamesW
Run time is not really that dependent on flow rate. You might be thinking of the outdated rule of thumb about turnovers. A pool does not need a certain amount of turnovers to be clean. Some pools can do it very quickly while others take longer. It depends more on local conditions rather than flow rates. You might want to read some of the articles in Pool School:

Is the reason that you are asking this question because of an algae problem? This has more to do with chemistry than it does runtime. Again, Pool School can help with maintenance suggestions:

If you can give us some more details about what is happen, we can point you to the appropriate material.

Also, is this for a residential or public pool?

Last edited:
Reactions: amin36 and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually i want to calculate the real flow rate of the water to set a proper run time for the water circulation using pump curve.
For a residential pool, running continuously at the slowest flow that achieves the purpose is the most efficient option.

All customers should be encouraged to switch to variable speed pumps and run as slow as possible while still skimming or meeting flow requirements for a SWG or heater.

For commercial pools, you have to meet certain turnover rules as per local health code.

Reactions: Dromedarius
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.