TC and FC still high

Vegasmom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
300
0
#1
I've been adjusting the Intellichlor the last week trying to get my chlorine right and I thought I was on the right track the other day. The FC dropped to 7.5 from 15 running it at 30% 8hrs. Now it's back up to 9 and the TC has always read 5 (maybe it's higher but the test only goes to 5) Salt is around 3120 and I just got some salt I'll add to bump it up. Should I turn the output down another 5%?

Also, I admit I really don't know much about the filter and pumps, etc. but I've been reading the manuals. I gather that it's normal for the cell light on the SWG to not be on constantly, but is it normal for the filter to not run when in it's on time? Meaning does it cycle on and off, too, like the SWG?
 

revstriker

Well-known member
Apr 21, 2008
117
0
Texas
#2
Vegasmom said:
I've been adjusting the Intellichlor the last week trying to get my chlorine right and I thought I was on the right track the other day. The FC dropped to 7.5 from 15 running it at 30% 8hrs. Now it's back up to 9 and the TC has always read 5 (maybe it's higher but the test only goes to 5) Salt is around 3120 and I just got some salt I'll add to bump it up. Should I turn the output down another 5%?

Also, I admit I really don't know much about the filter and pumps, etc. but I've been reading the manuals. I gather that it's normal for the cell light on the SWG to not be on constantly, but is it normal for the filter to not run when in it's on time? Meaning does it cycle on and off, too, like the SWG?
I don't know much about SWG, but TC is a total of FC and CC. So if you have 7.5 FC, you have to have at least 7.5 TC.

Unless these stand for something different on SWG.
 

JasonLion

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 7, 2007
37,879
5
Silver Spring, MD
#3
The pump/filter should always be on when it is programmed to be on. The SWG will cycle on and off when it is programmed to be on.

Keep in mind that the FC level will vary over the course of the day. When calibrating a SWG percentage, it is best to only measure the FC in the early evening. That way you get consistent readings at the time when FC is likely to be lowest.
 

Vegasmom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
300
0
#4
JasonLion said:
The pump/filter should always be on when it is programmed to be on. The SWG will cycle on and off when it is programmed to be on.
So does that mean it's losing prime? When it's on, the psi is around 21.

JasonLion said:
Keep in mind that the FC level will vary over the course of the day. When calibrating a SWG percentage, it is best to only measure the FC in the early evening. That way you get consistent readings at the time when FC is likely to be lowest.
Ok, didn't realize that!
 

randytsuch

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
256
0
Los Angeles, Ca
#5
Vegasmom said:
So does that mean it's losing prime? When it's on, the psi is around 21.
At these times, can you hear the pump, but the psi is at, or close to 0?
If you lose prime, you will hear to pump trying to do something, but it won't be moving water, so psi will be 0, or very low.
It will also sound different, if it loses prime, and can't prime itself.

You should not let it run very long if it can't prime, you could burn out the pump, it needs the water to cool itself down.

Randy
 

Vegasmom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
300
0
#6
Thanks, Randy. No, it doesn't make any sound at all. Like it's completely shut off. I contacted the PB and he said it sounds like a computer problem and would get a work order on it. They've already done work on the seals, it was leaking pretty bad for awhile.

Retested FC tonight and it was at 6, but I don't know how accurate that is under normal operation because the pump was off and on throughout the day today.
 

Vegasmom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
300
0
#7
Re: TC and FC still high (now too low)

As mentioned before I have been having trouble with the pump. PB has not sent anyone out. Now my FC is 2 and my CC is .5

Do I need to add the recommended amount of bleach? (33 oz.) I had reduced output to the SWG, but I don't suspect that is the problem. It's that the filter pump keeps shutting off during the day, resulting in the SWG being off.
 

Vegasmom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
300
0
#10
Thanks, guys.
FPM: Luckily the In-Floor system is working well and it keeps the water circulating. I added the bleach last night and my CL this morning was 3. I'll do another FC tonight. It's such an intermittent thing...PB was out this morning and of course it was working fine! They think maybe it's shutting off because of the heat we're having. Owner's son said his did the same thing the other day. They said they'll get someone out to look at it.

I want to thank everyone again for pushing me to test my water. Otherwise, I might have wound up with a green pool!