Taylor test results what's next?

Jun 24, 2017
TX
My Taylor test kit came in today and I think I did the tests correct so now I just need direction on what to do. My CYA level is zero, my FC level is 1.5 and my CC is also 1.5 provided I did the tests correctly. I used a test strip for the ph, alkalinity, and calcium hardness. The test strip says the calcium hardness is low, for the alkalinity it's very high and ph is normal. My question is what do I do now? Do I add the stabilizer first for a swcg 18ft by 9ft by 52 in? If yes stabilizer first then how much? Do I add bleach? If yes how much? What should I do next? Any help is so appreciated!!!!

No I used another test strip kit bc I haven't read all the directions past FC cc and cya lol. The pool isn't bad I've been adding bleach for 3 days but I didn't know how much so I think I went too light. I'm just not sure if I add stabilizer now? I'm also not sure how much bleach should be added daily either. I never did out stabilizer in from the beginning so of course it's at zero. The pool is about 3 weeks old and it is pretty clear right now but I want it to be as good as possible

Did you just fill this pool up with well or city water?

We'll need Alk, CH, and pH numbers to really tell.

The CYA test is easily the most difficult to perform so finish up with testing and let us know.

Use the pool math page to calculate chemical needs, you'll need to know the volume of your pool. Also it helps to know, is it a vinyl lined pool?

If you pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 your in good shape. You'll want to bring the FC up to 4-5 range and put in enough stabilizer to get to 30 CYA. Use the pool math app or link at the top of the page and enter your pool info and current numbers. For the target number use recommended levels. pH and FC are the two most important things to work on throughout the season. Don't worry too much about TA because it's a vinyl pool. And as long as your CSI isn't out of whack you don't need to worry about CH either.

If you could put your pool info in your signature, it makes things easier for us to help you.

Okay just finished and here are all my results:

cya - zero
FC - 1.5
CC - 1.5
PH - 7.6
alk- 160
CH- 110

based on these results can you provide me steps on how to balance the water?

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect thank you!!! I'm a little worried about the alk and ch though are those super high or is it okay? I'll go see if I can find info on that in table of contents! This site is a godsend!

Alright, so if you just filled this, there will definitely be no CYA in there. You should double check the instructions for measuring CC.

Anyway, now that we know it's a vinyl pool Alk and Calcium isn't as important and you're probably okay, we'll see when you get numbers.

With that, first two things are to add Stabilizer to get it up to ~40ppm using the sock methods described elsewhere which would be 28 ounces of CYA and adjust pH to 7.2 using Muriactic acid, the amount of acid will be known once we know what your pH is now.

Then just starting adding liquid bleach to reach ~13ppm FC (about 1 gallon of 6% household bleach) and keep it there until you pass all 3 of the SLAM criteria.

Alk is okay. You might want to adjust Calcium later but don't worry about it now.

The only 'problem' right now is CC. Like I said double check the instructions and remember total chlorine = free chlorine + combined chlorine (TC = FC + CC). With CC that high you'll probably looking at needed to SLAM.

So I'm just going to suggest AftonJeeper's advise, bring up CYA to 30ppm. Then bring up FC to 4-5ppm, then recheck CC. Also see how much FC loss you get overnight. That should tell you if you need to SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly I think I'm doing FC and cc wrong. So I gill the tube thing to 10 ml then I added two scoops of r-0870. Honestly it is only a slight pink not really even pink at all but not clear. It only takes 1 drop of r-0871 to get it to clear then I add the 5 drops of r-0003 and it does turn pink. Finally I add 2 drops of r-0871 and it becomes clear. Based on that I decided the FC was .5 and the CC was 1. Foes this sound like I did it correctly? If so do I just need more bleach? Do you think a whole gallon?

Two things, no need to wait on either of them:
1. Add some form of liquid chlorine, i.e. bleach or form of Sodium Hypochlorite to raise FC in range, 3-7ppm. About 59 ounces of regular household bleach. Check daily and keep it up at this level by adding more bleach.
2. Increase stabilizer with Cyanuric Acid in either dry form or the liquid to about 30ppm to start. If using dry, use the sock method, about 21 ounces and let it dissolve. If using liquid just pour it into the pool near a return, about 54 ounces.

After a few days, we'll know if you need to SLAM

I added 1 gallon of bleach and 28oz of stabilizer into the sock and put it in the skimmer. How long before I test again do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay perfect this answers my question! Thank you for being so patient so now just test chlorine daily and add more bleach and we will know in about 3 days thank you thank you so much!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.