Taylor k2006 chlorine test - how clear is clear??

ninjajim4

May 25, 2023
chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
First time using this kit... I went all the way up to 100 drops and there is always some pinkish tinge at the bottom.

It goes from vibrant pink to clear in the middle. Is that considered clear??

See attached pics for 8 drops vs 12 drops. Sorry for no initial picture, but it was very vibrant pink. I watched a YouTube and it looked very binary to me so not sure what to do here. Also read that if I go too slow the pink will come back so I tried to do this very fast.

20230709_133358.jpg20230709_133541.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, giving it a swish around after every drop.
Try using a 10ml sample of water instead. Then the math to figure out free chlorine is to just divide the number of drops in half. It’ll save reagent and be plenty accurate.

You may have tons of chlorine in the water?

Try using a 10ml sample of water instead. Then the math to figure out free chlorine is to just divide the number of drops in half. It’ll save reagent and be plenty accurate.

You may have tons of chlorine in the water?
I should not. Filled up the pool with fresh water three days ago. Added about 3 cups bleach for 3ppm two days ago. Saltwater generator turned on for first time yesterday and running today.

I have a speedstir on order for arrival tomorrow., have just learned of its existence on another thread from here. Seems like it will dumb things down enough for me :D

To the original question, should it really be perfectly clear, like hold up against a piece of white paper and zero hint of pink clear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Instead of drop then swirl try swirling the whole time while doing the drops. This is an art not everyone masters at first! Like patting your head & rubbing your tummy at the same time.
royce o'neale multi tasking GIF by Utah Jazz

Does it come with a cylinder? You’ll need one.
& Like they said- use a 10ml sample, each drop counts as 0.5
It does. I bought Taylor's product. Seemed kind of pricey but it looked like it came with everything I needed and while there were lower priced stirrers with more functions I thought that would just needlessly make it more complicated for a newb like me

Taylor Technologies 9265 SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer Start-Up Pack with Stir Bar and Batteries Amazon.com

Instead of drop then swirl try swirling the whole time while doing the drops. This is an art not everyone masters at first! Like patting your head & rubbing your tummy at the same time.
royce o'neale multi tasking GIF by Utah Jazz'neale multi tasking GIF by Utah Jazz

I bought the thing to do it for me. I'm not even going to try anymore 🤣

Are you saying the sample initially turns pink and after adding 'x' number of drops (swirling between drops), it then goes clear but a short time later gets a pink tinge again?
If so, the test is complete when the sample initially goes clear. If the sample sits for 10-ish seconds, it will turn pink again.

The SpeedStir will make all the tests (except CYA) infinitely easier, more accurate and repeatable.
99.9% of members who have a magnetic stirring device wouldn't be without one.

Reactions: Armor77
Are you saying the sample initially turns pink and after adding 'x' number of drops (swirling between drops), it then goes clear but a short time later gets a pink tinge again?
If so, the test is complete when the sample initially goes clear. If the sample sits for 10-ish seconds, it will turn pink again.

The SpeedStir will make all the tests (except CYA) infinitely easier, more accurate and repeatable.
99.9% of members who have a magnetic stirring device wouldn't be without one.
I did not see any point at all where it was completely clear. It went from a very dark pink to light pink, and I could see parts of the water going clear and then swirls turning pinkish again. I thought I must be right near the turning point then but that never happened. I guess I just have to assume I never mixed the powder correctly initially the 3 times I tried this today.

I am encouraged by the notion that this speedstir will just make everything a lot less ambiguous.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I did not see any point at all where it was completely clear. It went from a very dark pink to light pink, and I could see parts of the water going clear and then swirls turning pinkish again. I thought I must be right near the turning point then but that never happened. I guess I just have to assume I never mixed the powder correctly initially the 3 times I tried this today.

I am encouraged by the notion that this speedstir will just make everything a lot less ambiguous.
Something is going wrong there. The speedstir is nice, but not required. How long is the test taking? The point above was that if you leave it sitting too long, it’ll go pink again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.