Northern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I find the Taylor chlorine test always gives me an immediate answer, but by the time I wander around the pool and finally make it inside to clean it, the reading has changed. My most recent test showed 0.5 ppm and less than 5 minutes later it was 2.0. What gives? Am I supposed to give it time to think? :sneaky:

The k-1000 is an oto test. It only shows a Total Chlorine reading which is Free Chlorine (good stuff) + Combined chlorine (bad stuff).
It will continue to darken as it sits.
You must read it (compare yellows) very quickly & even in that instance its not real accurate. Its more of a “yellow means we have some chlorine” kind of check.
For accurate fc & cc readings you should stick with the fas/dpd test in the kit so u know how much good stuff & how much bad stuff u have.

The OTO test is simply unreliable by Taylor’s own admission. At 1-2 ppm it is accurate to +\- .5 ppm (1/2). Over 2 they specifically state there is no accuracy.

Most tests need to be read as quickly as possible.

I have no experience with the OTO test, but I know that the FAS-DPD tends to turn pinkish again after a while. Doesn't mean that you need to keep adding FAS to turn it clear again - first turning clear counts.

I ran another test and compared the K1000 to the TF-100 Chlorine drop test and found that I do indeed have to give the K1000 test a few moments to "think" and develop an "accurate" color.

I'm not sure I trust the OTO tests because some of those color shifts are so subtle I have trouble telling if I'm at a 3 or a 5. I use it daily to ensure I have chlorine and that its not too high or too low.

@mgtfp - I have noticed that about those tests ...

As I said, I don't have the OTO-test, not available in Australia.

But from what I am reading on this forum, then it seems to be considered a reliable test to check whether there is chlorine in the pool or not - yes or no.

Sometimes used as a sanity check when the FAS-DPD shows unreasonable results.

But not recommended to extract an actual ppm-value from - just "yes, there is chlorine in the pool" or "no, there is no chlorine in the pool".

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.