Tanning ledge construction without the Hydra pools form?

cskuse

Mar 23, 2022
North of Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I know this may be a way out there question, but I’m going to ask! I had priced out a vinyl pool system thru Royal Swimming Pools with a 6’ tanning ledge. We are doing the construction ourselves (with the help of our son who has installed pools) and my husband wants to know why we need the actual Hydra tanning ledge add on (for $3800.00), why can he not just form it like the bottom on the pool? I am sure there is a reason why, and I couldn’t find anyone who had done it another way when I searched. Help! I thought I had answered all his questions and personally I’d rather not risk it without the form.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing there's two main reasons. First is to make sure the dimensions are exact for the liner. Second is probably ease of installation. I'm guessing you could form it out yourself, but I don't know if Royal swimming pools would allow that, or maybe not warranty it since they can't guarantee the vinyl liner will fit.

Agree with Foxer, I think you could do it theoretically but getting Royal to give you that liner might be difficult. I suppose you could see about ordering the liner separately too?

Frost Protection...I know where we live the frost line is 30". If you just use dirt as grade it will freeze and heave up and destroy the poolcrete under the liner on the tanning ledge. With the kit the tanning ledge forms go down to the level of your side panels and get poured in with the bond beam and backfilled with gravel. Hope that make sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.