Tank Leaking After DE Cleaning

randys

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Clayton, NC
I cleaned the DE filter for the second time ever. I have never replaced the tank o-ring and lo' it's got a slow consistent dribble. Couple questions:

1. Should be safe to let the thing continue running until my amazon order arrives, correct? It arrives in 4 days. I'd say it's the same pace as a slow & steady shower faucet drip leak.
2. When I do replace the O. Ring, I should be able to depressurize the tank, replace & reassemble without worrying about losing DE, correct? The only time I have ever opened the thing has been after several backwash + rinse cycles.
3. I am currently tightened way over suggested torque of 150 ft/lbs. What am I risking here? I'm hoping not to need this much pressure once the o-ring arrives.

Thanks all! And happy 2021 pool season!

1. If it is a very slow leak, you'll be ok to run the system until your replacement arrives, if your pump is variable speed you could put it on a lower setting for the time being. Just enough flow to keep your SWG happy.
2. You'll lose some DE, but probably not all that much, unless you pull the bottom plug and drain before taking the top off, I'd be slightly worried about DE getting shot back into the pool on startup. Just be gentle when you take the dome off.
3. Did you lube your O-Ring prior to re-installation? That might be a good idea, I lube mine up every time I break the filter down. I use MagicLubeII.

I can only tell you my experience. I had a similar drip last spring after opening my pool. I had not lubed the o-ring after cleaning the filter for winterizing. After attempting to tighten the band several times, I broke it back down and cleaned the mating surface and lubed the O-Ring. The drip did not come back, so this last fall when I winterized I was sure to lube the o-ring and I did not have any drips when I opened this year.

Another thing to try is tapping the band clamp with a rubber mallet all around the filter as you are tightening to help it seat properly. I start on the opposite side from the nut and work my way around towards the nut in both directions.

Most of the DE filters use a stiff spring on the band clamp. Directions say to tighten the nut until the spring completely compresses then stop. If you see gaps in the spring between coils later on, tighten it again but only enough so that the gaps are gone.

150 ft/lbs seems like a lot of torque. Maybe you have a DE filter I'm not familiar with??

Always good to lube o-rings and rubber seals, but use the correct type lube. Vaseline isn't compatible with a lot of pool type seals.

Ok. Fortunately, my inability to read a label that dusk evening (blaming it on the light) also inhibited my use of a torque wrench, and I misread that too... I didn't tighten it over 150ft/lbs, I tightened it over 150cm/kgs, which is closer to 150 in/lbs!

That torque sounds more like it.
What kind of DE filter is it?
I've only owned Pentair DE filters. A 20 yr old one a brand new one. Both had a spring under the band clamp nut.

That silicone lube would probably be ok, but better to ask a pro. I buy mine from the local pool store. A tube lasts me a looong time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.