Tank body leaking - replace or get new pump?

Jan 25, 2018
San Diego, CA
The tank body of my Sta-right PE5E-125L has a hairline crack that is causing leaking. The part is so old (tag says 1981) I can't find it in any part list, but I am pretty sure that it can be replaced with the Pentair C176-47P1 Tank Body (~$80). The motor is fine, but also old and single speed. I would love thoughts on whether I should bother replacing the part, or just go for a new motor unit. If a new one - which one would you recommend for a 1000 gallon hot tub. If fixing - how to deal with the PVC pipe seal between the tank body and pipe running to the heater. Thanks!

Are you asking about a filter or a pump?
When you say tank body I assume you are talking about a filter, but then you mention a new motor unit and filters do not have motors.
Perhaps you mean the pump around the strainer basket is leaking?

OK, that looks like the diffuser for your pump, not sure why they would label it a tank body :hammer:

So this is just in a stand alone hot tub? I may move this over to that forum.

I am not sure there would be a reason to upgrade to a multi-speed pump as the electronics likely would not know how to control it.
I would not be comfortable telling you that you can use a different part on your pump. Nor would I really know what pump to recommend to replace it.

I would suggest maybe calling INYO pools and they would certainly be able to tell you what part would be needed or recommend a new pump.

It will required some plumbing work to install the new part or pump if there are not union fittings currently on the plumbing.

The PVC plumbing is not that hard, depending on access and how much pipe is available.

I guess I would be concerned about throwing money at that cracked part and knowing that all the other plastics are also just as old and could develop further problems.

Thanks for the comments [B]jblizzle[/B]. Just as an update - I decided to get a new pump. I called INYO and they recommended a straight single speed pump replacement but then canceled the order after I placed it because California law required a 2 speed or variable speed pump! That was going to cost me an extra $200-$300 (bringing fix up to $600+) PLUS possible need for electrical upgrades so I bit the bullet and bought the $60 replacement diffuser and PVC pipe. So back up and running for under $100. Might not last as long, but the whole system is on the brink and we would really like to replace the heater with electric (as we have lots of solar) so not worried about it lasting forever...see fix pic! Thanks for the support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.