Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,

I am going to switch to an SWCG. I have few questions as I make my way through the process.

Little bit of information on my current setup, My 12K gallon pool was completed (filled and balanced for the first time) in August of 21'. Its a pebble sheen type of surface with travertine coping and a Turkish Limestone veneer (hard limestone whew) that extends from about 2-3 feet above the pool and down below the water line by about 3". I have been using the trichlor tabs till now and like so many others am switching to avoid the difficulties of balancing the CYA with the use of tabs and to avoid the extensive use of liquid chlorine required for a non tab set up. I know that I will still have to test and balance the pool water several times a week but MA is easier to add and carry than 4 gallons of Chlorine. So onto the questions,

1. prior to conversion, what do I need to do with the water? my current chemistry is below ( the TA and CYA is a high). I plan on draining off the water to just about mid first step to dilute the CYA but the TA is something i am not sure of what to do with especially since I plan on switching to a SWCG.
PH - 7.8
FC - 6
CC - 0
TC - 6
TA - 100
CHA -390
CYA - 70
CSI - .1
Temp 51°F

2. I know I need to seal the travertine, but what about the lime stone? Its a split (cut?) face type where the rough unfinished portion is exposed. Should I seal that as well since its below the water line? Does anyone know if it will change the appearance of the limestone?

3. What type of sealer do you use? I have seen both oil and water based. I would think oil would be better as in my experience it provides a tougher finish.

Any help on the above would be awesome!

1. Nothing - your water is perfect to add the SWCG. Just make sure you buy a salt test kit, then add the salt called for by Pool Math. Your pool will have a good amount of salt already from previous chemical additions.

Reactions: W.J.Christy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.