Taking over from pool cleaner - overwhelmed

Hi Brian,
Thank you for taking the time out to write such a detailed response. I am learning by the day on this forum, you all are amazing in your support of the fellow pool owners.
You're welcome!

I hesitate to give advice here because I'm such a new pool owner. But, what you're going through with high FC levels and trying to adjust your salt cell properly is exactly what I went through a few months ago. I also helped my neighbor transition from chlorine tabs to a salt cell so I actually do have a little experience that I can share. Having said that, there are many helpful people here who have forgotten far more about pools and water chemistry than I will likely ever know. They were super helpful to me when I started out.

BTW, I was going to add that if your FC level jumps a lot (up or down) once you turn your cell back on (say 2ppm in a day), you will likely need to make a bigger adjustment on your salt cell than the 5% I used in my example earlier. Hope that makes sense. Also, I'd buy a couple more gallons of liquid chlorine so you have it on hand just in case your FC drops more than you expect and you need to raise it quickly.

Reactions: Newdude
Let's say you got an inch, which is more than usual. (Although more does happen). That's 1/60th (?) Of your average depth. So if it's being mixed it will lower your 10FC to a 9.84. It will be even less at a lower FC, so it's pretty meaningless.

But. You want big storms to be mixed. If 0 FC water had 12 hours to fester before the pump came on again, that could easily push you over the edge if you were closer to minimum when it did.

So if you have extended bad weather or a flash flood coming, either run the pump on low throughout, or run it every couple of hours and you'll never have a storm mess you up.

I ran 24/7 at low RPM and it was never a concern.
@Newdude, sure that's what I ended up doing. I have my pump running overnight. I have recorded FC right now. Will measure again tomorrow before sunrise and share the data here. Thanks!

Reactions: Newdude
I finished my FC test in the morning. My overnight reading was 28 and my morning reading was 28 - 29 as well. I had my pump running all night at medium speed. I did not detect any appreciable difference in the readings from overnight to this morning.

I am going to repeat the overnight test one more time again tonight since there are no storms/rain in the forecast for tonight and I am also going to leave my pump turned off for this test through the night.

Let me know your thoughts.

I did not detect any appreciable difference in the readings from overnight to this morning.
Free gift from the universe # 2.
:party:

I am going to repeat the overnight test one more time again tonight
SMART. The test is free and can only catch something that may smack you hard in the face. (y)
I am also going to leave my pump turned off for this test through the night
If you do, be sure to mix well for 15 mins before testing.

Protip. Run around 1200 rpms for about 100W. It's like leaving a light bulb or 2 on overnight and you'll never see it on your electric bill.

download.jpeg

Reactions: APoolFreshman
My second overnight chlorine test did not reveal any FC differences. Both readings were 20.
I have my SWG turned off and now I am waiting on my FC to drop down to 6-7 level. Based on my observation, it dropped by 8 points yesterday during the 12 hours time period. So I am anticipating it to be around 12 or so when I check it again in a couple of hours. I will start my SWG around mid-day tomorrow to sustain the FC around desired levels.
Then tomorrow evening I will check my PH levels once the FC drops below 10. That is my game plan for now. Please feel free to suggest any changes you think I should make to the above plan. Thank you everyone for all your help.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.