Take water out of pool and bypass the filter?

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
Hi,
I just added CYA though socks in my filter basket about 5 days ago. It rained and I want to pump down the pool about 3". Is there a way to bypass the filter and pump out water. I think a lot of my CYA is in the filter now and I want to keep it in there and make sure it does not get pumped out. I'm not sure if the Waste setting on the Hayward Sand Filter bypasses the sand? If not I will take a hose and let the water syphon off the top of the pool. Thanks

Not 100% sure, but it is my understanding that setting the multi-valve to waste bypasses the filter. At least it is how I vacuum the stuff blown into my pool after a bad wind storm. None ever seems to be in the filter afterwards! (I actually proved it once when I opened it to deep clean it after vacuuming to waste). Hope this helps a little :cool:

Now woodyp got me curious also! Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in because I have no clue what actually takes place with the various settings of the multi-valve on a sand filter (never took on apart)

Thanks for the diagram it looks like on the sand filter it goes directly through to the exit pipe and does not take any water from the top of the filter, but is anyone sure???? In the meantime I have been siphoning water at a rate of about 3/4 of inch every 3 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay thanks for the definitive answer. I ended up siphoning with the hose because I wanted to lower the level ASAP, the only tip I have is if you use the return jet to fill the hose it makes starting the siphon process easy. But next time, now I know all have to do is use waste and pump it down. Thanks everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.