Tail end of SLAM, can I get in to brush and remove light?

Morning all,

I just passed my OCLT, but am still keeping FC high because I haven’t taken the light out and scrubbed it. Is it safe to get in the water at shock level to do this? I’ve been brushing at least 2x per day, if not more. I had a small algae bloom, and it’s funny because I just thought my water was crystal clear when I started this SLAM and I was so confused. It’s now even clearer than it was when I opened the pool and got everything in order. It’s beautiful.

Here are my test results from this morning.

FC 17
CC 0
Haven’t tested anything else since I started the SLAM a few days ago, but my CYA was low when I started (was 20, and I hadn’t tested since I opened in mid-April...), which, I believe, is why I had issues. I’m guessing from all the rain we’ve had this spring. My pool has an overflow drain vent and where it drains to in my yard has been swampy for a while, so it’s been draining a bunch. I added stabilizer to get to 40 and that’s what I’ve been SLAMming at.

That's exactly what I did. ? No visible algae in the light, and I honestly couldn't believe how clear the water was! I must have never been algae free! There was a ton of dirt and concrete chunks, though, I guess from when it was built. But it got a good scrubbing and I am doing one more day of this SLAM, just in case... But I haven't had to add any chlorine today.

Reactions: Texas Splash
That's exactly what I did. ? No visible algae in the light, and I honestly couldn't believe how clear the water was! I must have never been algae free! There was a ton of dirt and concrete chunks, though, I guess from when it was built. But it got a good scrubbing and I am doing one more day of this SLAM, just in case... But I haven't had to add any chlorine today.
Just wait....

Some morning you'll glance out the window when everything is dead still and panic because it looks like your pool lost all the water overnight. It's happened to me.

Reactions: Barbie J
I relate to your post a lot......I think (HOPE) I am on the last day of SLAM, or I hope so. My pool was crystal clear before SLAM (maybe a touch of haze in the water) but every third day there was algae all around the light.........so I got in and removed and cleaned light BEFORE SLAM. It was loaded with a gooey mess that would fill a Slurpee cup, but it all went in the water of course...First morning after SLAM started water looked great. I am in Day 2, almost sundown. Pool looks awesome....CC<0.5, Water is perfectly clear....I can see the screw heads on the drains. Let's hope I pass the OCLT in the morning. ;)

I relate to your post a lot......I think (HOPE) I am on the last day of SLAM, or I hope so. My pool was crystal clear before SLAM (maybe a touch of haze in the water) but every third day there was algae all around the light.........so I got in and removed and cleaned light BEFORE SLAM. It was loaded with a gooey mess that would fill a Slurpee cup, but it all went in the water of course...First morning after SLAM started water looked great. I am in Day 2, almost sundown. Pool looks awesome....CC<0.5, Water is perfectly clear....I can see the screw heads on the drains. Let's hope I pass the OCLT in the morning. ;)
SLAMming is a fun process! ?Good luck with your OCLT! I hope I don't have to ever do it again. My husband was surprised at all the chlorine I was using and kept questioning what I was doing and if I was doing it right. I didn't even think about anything being in the light until I read the mustard algae page. This forum and the people here are amazing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.