Switching over from a EC50 DE Hayward Filter to a Waterways Carefree 26' (400lb) Sand

Mj1804

Jun 18, 2018
Brewster/NY
Hey all!

I was smart enough to drain, winterize, and store my EC50 Hayward filter housing for the winter, but not smart enough to ensure items wouldn't shift and crack the case. Fast forward through some collapsing shelves and a dash of Murphy's Law and I was in the market for a new filter housing.

I wasn't in love with DE style filtration, and that's why I was so excited to find a Waterways Carefree 26' housing (full unit-no pump) for sale (used) for 50 bucks. I'm heading to pick it up today, but I am worried about my pump.

My pool is a 33 round 52 high - 25,700 gallons above ground pool. It's large..... too large (I can explain the purchase of the home and the revitalization of this frankenpool in the future for you). It needs a good sized filtration system BUT I'm not entirely sure my 1.5 HP pump is up to the task of pushing the water through it. The filter holds 400lbs of sand...that's quite a bit. I've combed the internet and youtube and only managed to find one video of a guy stating to never go above 200 lb systems with a pump my size. Most others say never go larger than a pump my size because it'll blow sand into the pool. I've been wracking my brain over the issue for awhile and would love some knowledgeable input.

The manual states it should have a 2HP two speed pump.... but.... couldn't a continuous 1.5hp do the same job?

http://waterwayplastics.com/manuals/810-0159.1215.pdf

Thanks!

FrankenPool was Inherited from previous homeowner as a dirt garden| (Repairs: Aluminum flashing around base where wall rot was evident,
4 ft wide piece of 14 gauge steel riveted to old skimmer and return section to prevent a blowout from extreme rot.)

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

No issues with an over-sized filter. It may take longer to backwash, but you will not need to backwash it as often. The 1.5 HP pump will be fine.

That manual says to just fire it up after installation. I would backwash and rinse it after you get it installed with the new sand, before setting it on 'filter'.

It would be good to find out if it has any weaknesses leading to the sale. It might just need a new spider gasket or o-rings, which would be good to find out. Don't use it if there's any evidence of cracks in the body.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.