Switching from a cartridge filter to a sand filter?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you're having to clean a sand filter weekly, it would have to be grossly undersized?

I also never feel like I get the cartridge filter totally clean.
I have a cartridge filter. I don’t need to, but I spray it off twice during the season. Once at the end of the pollen falling and once mid season. At the end of the year it gets a spray, an acid bath and a rinse before storage. Marty made a point a few weeks ago that a dirty filter would actually filter better to a certain point. There is no doubt in my mind I could go the whole 7 month season, I just choose to keep it on the clean side.

Frogabog backwashing for 5 min a week is probably just him doing it for the same piece of mind and not necessarily needed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you're having to clean a sand filter weekly, it would have to be grossly undersized?

I also never feel like I get the cartridge filter totally clean.
I'm feeling that is the case with the baby filter that came with my pool. While it's still keeping the pool clear, it needs to be cleaned more often than 1x a week else the skimmer stops skimming. I don't remember having to clean my other much larger sand filter this much. Luckily I have a monster filter and pump that I'm going to use instead. I just have yet to hook it up. It stunk of chloramines and strong bleach only did so much for it. It appears that time airing out has helped considerably.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
@YippeeSkippy any recommendations on where to get the skimmer socks? are they designed to be disposable or are they just to catch smaller particles?

skimmer socks are sold by most pool stores and Amazon.... you rinse them out and re-use them.
But most folks use seem to be using the disposable hair covers meant for food/health use-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.