Switching from 2-speed to 1-speed Pump - Wiring Question

Dec 27, 2018
OKC
All,

I just moved into a home with a pool, and almost immediately, the pump went out. I'm trying to cut some corners for the time being, and am switching from a 2-speed motor to a single speed (as I got one incredibly cheap). I am having issues with the wiring, I connected everything, and turned the power to the pump on once, then immediately shut it off and cut the breaker, as it didn't turn on.

He are images of the old setup and new setups: Shared album - Kyle - Google Photos (the first and last images are the old setup, the middle two are the new setup)

I am thinking that perhaps the white wire that I capped should be switched with one of the red wires. I will do anything I need to with a multimeter, or anything else I need to do to get to the bottom of this. I just need a pump that runs, as I am expecting freezing temperatures this weekend, so I need the pump to be running.

Thanks for looking at this thread!

Minus
14,500g pool

Last edited:
wiring-230v-pump.jpg You have to find and verify which two of the 3 wires has the 240V, the white wire most likely is one, and one of the two red wires is the other, to do this disconnect all wires from motor, turn breaker on, then probe with multimeter to find which one of the red wires will show voltage with the white wire. then connect those two wires to L1 and L2 on new motor

Make sure that the black plug on motor board reads 240V and not 120V just turn it to 240V if it reads 120V

Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Just to clarify:

1) I'll put on of the probes on the white wire, then try the probe on each of the red wires, one at a time. When I have a reading of around 240, then I connect those two to L1 and L2, correct?

2) Is it possible to wire them backwards, resulting in the motor spinning backward? In other words, does it matter which wire is on L1 or L2.

3) Do I just cap off the extra red wire?

Have a great day, and thanks for all of the help.

Last edited:
@Realaxpooltech, thank you SO MUCH for the help. It literally took me all of 4 minutes to get everything back up and running. You are awesome, and I appreciate your help.

For anyone reading this, I did cap one of the red wires, the one that didn't have voltage. I connected the white and the other red to L1 and L2, and connected the green ground to ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.