Swimming depth vs excavation depth - need quick answer

Apr 8, 2017
houston texas
Excavating my pool tomorrow (owner builder).

lets say my pool is 4' deep of water depth. how deep should i excavate from the top of the form boards so i can easily check to make sure everything is correct?

As I dont believe the waterline is the top of the form boards, but i also have gunite and rebar to account for.

Add 6" from water top to top of pool wall usually.
I believe that 10-12" covers gunite and plaster. So add that too. Rebar?? A couple of inches??

So I think for a 4' depth of water you want to dig down almost 6' or more or less +/_

Let me ask a few folks who may know if my math is in the ball park- @Bama Rambler @JamesW @ajw22

Maddie 🐞

Last edited:
Add 6" from water top to top of pool wall usually.
I believe that 10-12" covers gunite and plaster. So add that too. Rebar?? A couple of inches??

So I think for a 4' depth of water you want to dig down almost 6' or more or less +/_

Let me ask a few folks who may know if my math is in the ball park- @Bama Rambler @JamesW @ajw22

Maddie 🐞
Thank you.
I was Originally thinking add 10” from top of form board to bottom but sounds like I’m wrong?

what about width form board to form board. If 10’ wide water to water what should form board to form board be?

Ohhhhh Luckyc.... you've gone far beyond my pay grade there! The previous estimate was just picked up from years of reading here... and I hope I'm in the ballpark. But your second question is right over my head! :roll:

Lets hope one of those more pool builder types will answer by tomorrow. 🤞 oooh! just saw @Jimrahbe online....lets see if he knows what you're asking??

Maddie :flower:

I am getting 4' water depth as well and from the top of the form is 4'9". 6" for gunite/rebar, 3" between water line and top of tile. 10" probably is better b/c I think plaster is about 1/2" thick so mine will wind up being about 1/2" short but close enough. For width, I have 9" extra per side for the bond beam.

My excavation for 6' water depth was allowing 6 inches for the waterline tile, plus 9 inches for gunite/rebar, so they dug it at 7' 3" from the lowest point to the top of the form board. I asked my PB and this is how they do it.

Excavating my pool tomorrow (owner builder).

lets say my pool is 4' deep of water depth. how deep should i excavate from the top of the form boards so i can easily check to make sure everything is correct?

As I dont believe the waterline is the top of the form boards, but i also have gunite and rebar to account for.
You're asking questions that you really should know the answer to if you are building this pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.