Swim pure plus circuit board disaster

May 16, 2009
Hi,
i swapped out the board with god-pcb-rite and took photos of old unit beforehand. Once I powered it up and the display was working, I went inside for a few minutes, when I came back no power and pump wasn’t running. Ckd breaker but wasn’t tripped. Back outside and flipped power off, when i flipped it back on it sparked and blew up the board. Any body have an idea why this would happen?

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-GLX-...circuit+board&qid=1554240483&s=gateway&sr=8-2

This is the photo of the one I replaced. I wired it exactly like that. The replacement came with a set of red and black wires attached but I used the ones that were already in the box. Pinch a penny installed the original in 09 and I thought I could just connect it the way the old one was. Also,I realized later that I’d neglected to use the 2 plastic spacers in the middle of the new board when I transferred them over. It sparked where the power wires connect and pretty much all the wires and the unit in the upper left are soiled with soot.should I assume the entire box needs to be replaced?have no idea what if anything I did wrong. When it first powered on the display didn’t work. I pulled the breaker and reset the display and it worked. I hadn’t plugged the cell in yet. I went inside to refresh how. When I came there was no power. Flicked the power off at the timer, flicked it back and boom

Attachments

• 81DCEB7A-D504-43A2-8E78-EE142C752E58.jpeg
    81DCEB7A-D504-43A2-8E78-EE142C752E58.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 15
I suspect that the 4 colored wires are not installed correctly. Can you confirm that they match the colors labeled on the board?

People with certain types of color-blindness have trouble distinguishing the colors of the wires.

Did the back of the board touch the metal in the box when you forgot the spacers?

I’m positive the colors were matched. I suspect the back of the board touched the metal. Would that cause it to blow like that? The board was fried. The display board would also have been rendered useless? How about all the wiring inside the box. I’d probably need to replace the entire box?

The metal inside the box at the area where the power wires sparked definitely has contact burns. Most of the rest of the wire that plug into the board are covered in soot. I threw the fried board in the trash. I’ll probably have to get a new box and not just another board and display board. Not sure I can trust the rest of the wiring inside.EEA051B2-4078-40CE-84E8-790A41D91613.jpegEEA051B2-4078-40CE-84E8-790A41D91613.jpeg

Thanks for replying. I was mentally exhausted and assumed that since the board was fried that meant the display also had to be fried and who knows if the box and wiring is damaged or not. Next morning I hooked the original board up and saw that the display worked which meant the box was ok. I ordered the thermistor got it soldered in and so far so good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.