Swim Ladder Help!

May 29, 2020
Massachusetts
Hi everyone,
We are new pool owners and need help. My husband put this ladder together today. He tried to put it over the side of the pool with the ladder portion in the water and the steps outside of the pool. It wouldn't go down to the bottom. It was basically floating up. Should these steps be filled with water? There are holes on the sides but the directions don't indicate filling them with anything. Help?

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 5.31.26 PM.png

You can also weight them down. Some use empty chlorine bottles filled with sand (close caps tightly).

I just purchased this same ladder today! The steps go inside the pool and the ladder goes outside. The “sides” on the stair side is so kids can’t swim under the ladder. You’re supposed to fill it with water to weigh it down. Good luck! Can’t wait for ours to arrive!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No wonder it floats. :scratch:
No really, recheck the directions.
Look up the manufacturer and find images of your stairs online. They all show stairs in pool, ladder outside of pool.

I just looked up the directions myself... they are available here... http://www.vinylworkscanada.com/wp-...08/Model-CE-Installation-Instruction-2016.pdf. But the OP is correct, they want the ladder inside and the stairs outside:

AA82363E-9A16-4ADD-83F3-37857869B236.jpeg

I also couldn’t find any mention of adding water or sand to hold the ladder down. The only thing I could see was a mention to drain the ladder after it has been removed from the pool for winter storage, so that implies that they expect it to be full of water.

I’d say go ahead and fill it with water. It can’t hurt and you can always drain it easily later if you need to.

I just looked up the directions myself... they are available here... http://www.vinylworkscanada.com/wp-...08/Model-CE-Installation-Instruction-2016.pdf. But the OP is correct, they want the ladder inside and the stairs outside:

View attachment 143957

I also couldn’t find any mention of adding water or sand to hold the ladder down. The only thing I could see was a mention to drain the ladder after it has been removed from the pool for winter storage, so that implies that they expect it to be full of water.

I’d say go ahead and fill it with water. It can’t hurt and you can always drain it easily later if you need to.
Brett, you are my husband's and my new favorite person! Yes! That's exactly right. No mention of filling it but vague mention of draining it. We called the company and they said to fill it with water or sand if need be, but we're nervous about sand because it has holes in it. Going to try the water approach...thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.