SWG vs. Stennar Pump

I would like to bump this thread, rather than start a new one. I am new to this forum, and just got my pool back in check in the last few days with much help from the forum members here. In my introduction I stated the issues I have with being around daily to tend to the pool. After doing some reading and research, I think my two options are a Stennar pump to dose chlorine, or a SWG. While I think an SWG is a larger initial investment, they seem to be a better long term solution and the costs might even out when I don't have to add bleach daily. So, which SWG would be my best bet? I don't know pretty much anything about them. Im looking to purchase ASAP, before my pool chemistry starts to decline again....

Post split into separate thread. Please don't hijack threads and instead, start your own. Thanks! - 257WbyMag - Forum Moderator

I'm a big fan of the stenner with a 20 gal bleach tank.

No corrosion issues from the salt ... Cheap and easy to maintain.

I refill every 45 days in the summer. Not sure about the winter yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The big argument against salt is if you have flagstone or natural rocks as it will cause them to erode rather quickly ( there are sealers that will solve this ).

The argument against a stenner and a tank is lugging the bottles once a month or 45 days.

Both are good options. I just prefer the stenner option.

Techguy ... I eliminated liquidator because of the small capacity and issues with dumping the whole load into the pool occasionally.

For an above ground I would probably go SWG. Really depends on what was in the immediate vicinity of the pool.

Well I did a good bit of reading and research yesterday, and I am really digging on the Hayward Aqua Trol HP.... It seems like a five minute install and I like that it won't hang off the side of the pool like the RJ model. It also has a built in plug and timer for my pool pump... Any input or advice on this little guy??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have "been there, done that" and figure I'd weigh in too, even though it looks like you've made your choice already. I have had a SWG since we put our 33ft Diam. AGP up about 4 years ago. I went with a SWG because figure it would be trouble free for the most part. While it is...since my pool is almost 26,000 gallons of water, I had to purchase, haul and dump a TON of salt into my pool. What a headache. Then near my pool pump where the SWG was located and mounted, there was rusting metal parts anywhere close the the SWG, and then each season I had to take apart the cell and descale the plates inside, which again is a headache. Then, in the spring, when I opened my pool, I'd add fresh water to bring the pool back up to the skimmer and return level, and of course this would require the addition again of MORE salt. So finally this season I said enough of that...and bought a stennar pump, a 15 gallon tank and hooked it all up...I am dosing about 5ppm per day...and now just dump a couple gallons of chlorine bleach (12.5%) into the container to top it up once a week. That's it. No more worry about salt levels in the pool, salt creep or rust on any of the expose metal parts, etc.

I'd say go with the Stenner you'll be happier in the long run

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.