SWG Recommendations? What are the pros and cons of the various options?

Aug 25, 2014
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone,
I am looking at having a SWG installed in a couple of weeks when I replace my gas heater (with a Raypak 266 electronic). I have been told by the pool tech that I can go with either of the following options:
1. Aquapure PLC1400 (price unknown at this point)
2. TrueClear (price unknown at this point)
3. Pentair IC40 (priced at $1700)
4. and possibly a Hayward AquaRite 900 (priced at $1700) - equipment set-up may not allow it apparently...

What I have gathered so far from my brief research is that the IC40 is good but that you need to replace the entire unit when you have an issue as compared to the other systems that have the salt cell and the panel as separate units.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Pool is about 95 litres, vinyl, single speed pump (3/4 HP). We live in southern Ontario. Many thanks in advance!

I have an ic40 with easytouch automation panel, 5 years running about 12hr a day 7 months a year and doing well. It has had an internal temp sensor fail. No warranty since was not installed by pentair authorized dealer :mad:. It is a little finicky reading salt properly when temps are cold so I usually need liquid bleach or tabs until water warms. Pretty sure I can just buy the$800 cell and plug it into the easytouch controller whenever it dies.

I have an ic40 with easytouch automation panel, 5 years running about 12hr a day 7 months a year and doing well. It has had an internal temp sensor fail. No warranty since was not installed by pentair authorized dealer :mad:. It is a little finicky reading salt properly when temps are cold so I usually need liquid bleach or tabs until water warms. Pretty sure I can just buy the$800 cell and plug it into the easytouch controller whenever it dies.
Thanks for the information. It seems like many people are happy with the Pentair Intellichlor IC40).
I should have more accurately explained in my original question that the power supply is $700 and the cell is $1000 when you need to replace it. The Pentair option comes with a 3 year warranty. The Hayward AquaRite (AQR940) is the same price for the initial install but has a 4 year warranty (I believe) and the salt cell is little cheaper when you need to replace it (around $870).

Hey Flynn !!! I had Pentair and will be building again soon. It worked so well the first time, I am spending a bit more to keep it the second time.

Also look into Circupool. Many people have them here and report back that they work great too. The Comparison chart at DiscountSaltPool says that all circupool models put out the most output. But DSP is owned by Circupool, so of COURSE they say so. Lol. Still though, regardless of how much is/isn’t manufacturer’s hype....... it is in fact a quality system.

Could you upgrade to the ic60? That would probably get u the longest life for the $$ if those are your only choices.
Being as your pool is about 25k gal.
definitely check out circupool. I put in your location & it showed $99 international shipping. But they have great warranties.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.