SWG question

hagani

Jul 17, 2018
Robbinsville, NJ
I am helping my friend to convert his chlorine pool to salt water pool and install SWG.

It's 50k gallon pool and question is if Pentair IC60 will be able to handle that volume. And if it will at what percentage rate.

Or if anyone here can recommend anything else besides IC60 (brand doesn't matter as there no pool automation involved).

Thank you all in advance

and

Happy Memorial Day to everone!!

It's too small in my opinion. The Pentair IC60 is rated at 60,000 gallons. That sounds good, right?

Nope, you need to run at high % for a long time to maintain proper chlorine levels. A SWCG has a finite amount of chlorine it will produce over it's lifetime and then need to be replaced. So a SWCG running at 50% and another of the same running at 100% will find the 50% one lasting twice as long.

So, look at units that are rated for twice the capacity of the pool. The larger units cost more, but it's not a one - one relationship as price goes up. A unit twice the size may only cost 25% more.

As to the percentage rate any SWCG will need to run, that is something that almost will need trial and error to set. The amount of CYA, sun on the pool, organic devris that get in the pool each day, amount of swimmers and how good they are at cleaning the pool affect how much chlorine is used and thus how high the % will need to be set.

When shopping for SWGs, look at chlorine production rates (in lbs. per/day). The IC60 claims 2.0 lbs. per/day (increase FC by 4.8 ppm). The CircuPool RJ60 claims 3.1 lbs. per/day (increase FC by 7.4). I'm not familiar with any SWGs rated for more than 60K gallons. The FC increase is based on running the cell 24/7 at 100%.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.