SWG End Caps Too Tight. Can't remove.

KenB123

Apr 12, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello to all. New member here.

I have a Hayward T-CELL-15 SWG that I wish to clean. Problem is the end caps are too tight for me to remove just via hand strength. Is there a tool that I can purchase to wrap around the caps to unscrew them? I attached a picture of the unit . Screwed-on end caps are shown at top and bottom

2020-04-06_14-37-26_829.jpeg

Thanks.

went through that yesterday myself. a big set of channel lock pliers and two guys. ended up taking off the outlet pipe from the filter after I got the other end off. we tried a strap wrench but that didn't work too well either. so I held the pipe by standing on it while my neighbor used the pliers and it finally broke the seal.

I think the idiots who installed it got some pipe dope on it because it was wayyyyyyy toooooo tight. once I cleaned the salt cell I put it back together and lubed it with some Jack's and hand tightened it. so far no leaks but it did booger up the fitting fairly well. I ordered two more off Amazon last night to have as back ups.

After struggling using a strap wrench for a few years at open/close, I finally bought the big channel lock pliers to do it all with ease. I misplaced them immediately after the first fall and spent all winter looking for them. Convinced I would never find them I bought a 2nd pair to reassemble everything that spring. A week later the old ones magically appeared so now I have 2. Ain’t that always the way ? :hammer:

Reactions: mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.