SWG Cleaning question

This is my 2nd season with this pool (moved into a house with the pool). The SWG has apparently quit working. It could be 5 years old. I didn't clean it last season and am trying that today.
The cell is soaking in a bucket of muriatic solution but it didn't foam up. Does that tell me there wasn't a buildup? I am letting it soak. There was hair, bug parts etc that are coming out of it.
I am going to let it soak for a while and rinse and reinstall.

Will the controller "know" whether it is working properly or do I just have to watch the Chlorine level?
I've been using bleach in the meantime.

I would think the controller would know if it's producing chlorine. But also keep in mind it may have just been the end of the SWG life. They only do produce chlorine for X amount of time.

The bubbling and foaming would depend on buildup which is somewhat dependent on your water source. My well water has nearly zero CH so we've never had buildup on our SWG. When I acid washed mine........no foaming/bubbling.

The acid was strong...bubbled like crazy on my driveway.

UPDATE: The Salt sensor isn't working. I tested the Salt and it was 2400. I recalibrated the SWG to 'fool' it into reading 2400 and the Generating light came on. But after a few minutes, the Check Salt light start flashing but it the Generating light is still on.

Thoughts?

The acid was strong...bubbled like crazy on my driveway.

UPDATE: The Salt sensor isn't working. I tested the Salt and it was 2400. I recalibrated the SWG to 'fool' it into reading 2400 and the Generating light came on. But after a few minutes, the Check Salt light start flashing but it the Generating light is still on.

Thoughts?

Your salt is low... I believe that unit spec call for 2700 to 3400 ppm

also you don't say but I presume you are using a T-cell-15 for the SWG

If you can not see white scale in the cell, do not acid wash it. That just shortens the cells life.

You should always independently test the salt level to allow comparison to the SWG reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.