Newark/DE
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello to those in the know. I have what I think will be a quick question. The electrician who hooked up my Circupool RJ 60+ used a #2AWG bare copper wire instead of #8 and connected it directly to the heater instead of the bonding wire for either the pump or heater. Is this OK?

Hello to those in the know. I have what I think will be a quick question. The electrician who hooked up my Circupool RJ 60+ used a #2AWG bare copper wire instead of #8 and connected it directly to the heater instead of the bonding wire for either the pump or heater. Is this OK?
Could you show us some pictures? Just want to be sure we are understanding what you are describing.

Could you show us some pictures? Just want to be sure we are understanding what you are describing.
Here you go. The bonding wire from the SWG (shiny, new one) attached directly to heater.Is this OK vs being attached to the other bonding wire.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 37
If he used a #2 then that is fine because its larger than #8. But it looks like a #8 in the picture.

If he used a self tap screw to hold the lug that is a violation, its needs to be a bolt and nut but I cannot tell from the picture. But I don't like taping off another piece of equipment like shown. Would be a better install if it was bonded to the motor.

The new bond wire looks like #8.

Why do you think it is #2.

The new bond wire should connect directly to the old bond wire with a copper split bolt.
Because the wire was thicker and when I asked he said it was #2.
I’ll move the connection to the old bond wire and get a copper split bolt.
Can I just use a dab of silicone caulk to fill the hole in the heater when I remove the connection

Just push the wires together where they are already close and use a split bolt to connect them together.

Just leave the end connected to the heater where it is.

The new wire is probably #8.

I don't know why they would say that it's #2.

In any case, a split bolt is all you need.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Just push the wires together where they are already close and use a split bolt to connect them together.

Just leave the end connected to the heater where it is.

The new wire is probably #8.

I don't know why they would say that it's #2.

In any case, a split bolt is all you need.
Will do. Many thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just push the two wires together wherever it's convenient and connect them with the split bolt.

Remove the nut on the split bolt so that you can slip the bolt onto the wires without needing to get to the ends of the wires.

Reinstall the nut and tighten.

Just push the two wires together wherever it's convenient and connect them with the split bolt.

Remove the nut on the split bolt so that you can slip the bolt onto the wires without needing to get to the ends of the wires.

Thanks, the new wire is definitely bigger than the #8, but not much, maybe a #6? I assume I need a bigger split bolt?

Should I try this 1st?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.