Swell Addition to TF-100 Test Kit

JIMNSC

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
I guess you'd call this thingy a pipette syphon and it's about 9 inches long (est.). Got it at Wal-Mart in the cooking supplies. With it I can dip the tip as deep in the pool as I care to and get more than enough water for the tests I plan to make. You can fill a test tube to each fill line precisely and avoid dipping and pouring out and dipping again because you poured out too much. :lol:

I plan to store it in the box the kit came in as there is ample room in it to store the syphon along side as the bulb is not that big in circumference. With the exception of using the small Taylor kit out at the pool, I just bring a full syphon of water inside to do my tests where I keep the kit stored.

You pro's proabably already do something similar but thought I'd share for those who don't and also get tired of "dippin'!

Jim

P.S. It'd be a nice addition to the kit or available when re-ordering chemicals. :idea:

Hi, Jim,

Man, ya'll continue to embarrass me. I dipped and sweated outside for about two SEASONS before I came up with something similar to what you do......It took you TWO DAYS to figure it out!! :lol: :lol:

:)

I wish I had a nickel for every time I dipped, no that's too much, pour a bit out, Crud too much, dip, repeat forever...

I still dip my tubes but now I stay below the line and use the CYA mix bottle that has a dropper type lid on it to fine to the level. Works soooo much better. I'm keeping my eye out for a larger bottle that I can dip and then fill my tubes without having to dip them :)

Rangeball said:
:)

I wish I had a nickel for every time I dipped, no that's too much, pour a bit out, Crud too much, dip, repeat forever...

I still dip my tubes but now I stay below the line and use the CYA mix bottle that has a dropper type lid on it to fine to the level. Works soooo much better. I'm keeping my eye out for a larger bottle that I can dip and then fill my tubes without having to dip them :)

I'm gonna try those "ketchup/mustard" squeeze bottles from the kitchen store.

If you have a beauty supply store nearby, you can get a plastic squeeze bottle similar to those ketchup/mustard bottles. Mine is clear and says "Color Applicator" on it and has a much smaller hole in the tip for better control. 99 cents :-D

Thanks to the member who recommended doing this a couple of weeks ago!

Hrm,

I've never had trouble getting things to hit the line.

With the two cell thing, I just flick it until the water drops to the right level. Kinda hard to explain, but I never pore any out.

If it has a squeezy bulb on the other end, it's a baster.

Great idea! I use a plastic bottle from Leslie's that has a flip cap, that works pretty well. But, I have to stick my arm all the way down into the water to get it far enough down for a good sample. The baster would be perfect, for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rob said:
Hrm,

I've never had trouble getting things to hit the line.

With the two cell thing, I just flick it until the water drops to the right level. Kinda hard to explain, but I never pore any out.

That is what I do, just a wrist flick, and it always comes within reason of the line, a little high or low, I don't worry about it.

hosres and test kits

I picked up a big plastic syringe at a horse tack shop.

easy to read, cheap, and volume ndications right on the tube

fill, squeeze out excess to the quantity you want, and squirt into the test kit vial.

never misses.

get one with a longer narrow tube rather than a short round one.
it's easier to measure more accurately. Most test kits only need
25ml.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.