Jun 13, 2017
Lincoln, NE
We bought our above ground pool last year from a local pool company and trusted them to do the installation. Everything I have learned on TFP over the past year has shown me just how little the pool company actually knows about their products. We purchased a SWCG this spring and as I went to hook it up, I could not find the bonding wire. I am pretty sure the pool company did not bond our pool when it was installed.

I understand that I need to bond to the pool exterior in 4 places and encircle the pool 18-24" out from the walls with #8 AWG copper wire, buried 4-6". I will need to connect this bonding wire to both the lug on the pump and the SWCG. I will also need to bond the pool water, is there a preferred method/part to accomplish this? I was looking at the following options.....

https://www.amazon.com/POOL-BONDING-BURNDY-MfrPartNo-BWB680AGRK/dp/B005FM2KSS

https://www.amazon.com/Perma-Cast-P...rd_wg=3C5HA&psc=1&refRID=G9A5G7JHXKYHS0BM2JRG

After the pool was installed, we had a contractor install a concrete pad to within approximately 3' of the outside of the pool walls. The space between the concrete and the pool has landscaping edgers and stone to keep the weeds/grass from growing and so we don't need to mow right up next tot he pool. Do I need to break up the concrete and bond it as well?

My installers specifically stated that bonding the pool was the owner responsibility. Actually all electrical work was excluded from the installers work. They had me sign a document when I signed the bill of sale/install with a bunch of other requirements as well. Your sale/scope of work could be different. You may want to go back and look at your paperwork if you have any.

Bonding is part of the electricians job.

Around here the pool installers said bonding the pool wasn't needed. I put my own copper, but could only bond it to one part of the pool since it is a solid sheet and bonded the pool skimmer so the water is bonded as well.

I used the Perma-Cast PB2008 Water Bonding Fitting as a T pipe fitting under the skimmer.

If I was in your shoes I would not break up the concrete to do the bonding. I would try to bond as well as possible using alternative methods.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.