swamp monster and manual vacuuming

Mule

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2010
Hello group,
My pool seems to have gotten away from me and I am leaving for a month with a very green swamp. I read Jason's
very thorough and informative post on swamps vs. oasis. I choose the oasis, I just can't fix it right now. Anyway,
my question is this: Do I need to rely on the filter to clear out the dead algae, or can I use a manual vacuum
cleaner straight out of the pool and not mess with my filter. I don't currently own a manual vacuum, but if
that could save some work on the filter, I would consider getting one. Thanks again for having this forum.
Mule

I think you will need some type of cleaner, manual or otherwise. Much of the gunk will settle to the bottom and just won't stay in the water long enough for the filter to pick it up otherwise.

The question is do you have a "waste" setting for your filter? If so then vacuuming to waste to remove dead algae is the way to go. Just be sure to keep an eye on the water level since it will go down quickly.

I do have a waste setting. Should I just get a simple manual vac with a hose, or is there one that is a little more complex and does a better job?
thanks again for the responses. Mule

For this manual is the way to go. Robots do not vacuum to waste and if they do not have a fine enough collection bag the algae will strain through. I don't see anything about your pump in your signature, but if it is big enough to circulate your water effectively then it is strong enough to suck up the dead algae. Keep in mind you are vacuuming to waste so if you borrow a bigger pump then you will loose water that much quicker. Slow and steady is the way to suck up most of the algae without stirring it up too much. If you try to go too fast the algae particles will be in suspension and the pool will become extremely cloudy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.